Corvette Forums - Corvette Enthusiast Site

Corvette Forums - Corvette Enthusiast Site (https://www.corvetteforums.com/forum/)
-   Corvette C4 Forum (https://www.corvetteforums.com/forum/corvette-c4-forum-14/)
-   -   Ac stopped working today out of nowhere (https://www.corvetteforums.com/forum/corvette-c4-forum-14/ac-stopped-working-today-out-nowhere-18115/)

Corvettejohnny 04-07-2018 05:49 PM

Ac stopped working today out of nowhere

hey guys and gals, I drove my Vette to get the window tint cleaned up and redone today. When I dropped it off everything was fine. When I picked it up, had a dot and 2 dashes in the temp readout of the AC control panel. No buttons responding in the panel except the rear defrost, and only have heat barreling out of the dash vents. It wasn’t a very pleasant ride home as I live in Florida, and couldn’t roll down the windows due to the new tint, 89 degrees and heat on high fan blowing on me. Any suggestions as to what the hell happened in two hours of non driving? Man this sucks!

73shark 04-08-2018 08:18 PM

Welcome to the forum.

Check the Low and High pressure switches. Also could jumper 12V to clutch and check R134a pressures. Seems strange that this happened while car was in someone else's hands tho. Fuse?

Corvettejohnny 04-09-2018 05:57 PM

Thank you so much for the reply Shark! Jeez, I went back to my storage today, and fired her up, and everything was back to normal... I can only assume now that they dripped some water down the dash and ran into the control panel for the AC, causing a short? I went to check the vacuum lines from the “bulb” under the driver headlight just to make sure I didn’t have a vacuum line break off, or come disconnected, and the fuses per your advice. When I started her up, all functions were normal, screen was working properly, and selective buttons worked as well as functioned. Guess this time it fixed itself, I love it when that happens! Thanks again!

73shark 04-10-2018 08:48 AM

Glad it worked out for you and hope it doesn't come back. Personally I am always a little bit suspicious when mysterious things happen immediately after someone else has worked on my vehicle. I take it that you must have put tint on the inside of the windshield then.

Sometimes when strange things like that happened, disconnecting the battery for 10 minutes and then reconnecting will reboot the electronics.

Corvettejohnny 04-11-2018 05:50 PM

Yes, I had the air blue ceramic film applied to the windshield, it’s a 1991, interior is just about flawless, so now that it has started its new life in Florida, I figured it was proper to protect it all the way around with the best UV protection i could get to keep the dash etc. (hopefully), from cracking/drying out from the sun. I will keep that battery disconnect suggestion on the top of my head, as it needs some work. I have to do brakes, suspension first, this month, but then plan on doing headers (TPIS longtube) with a full catback Borla stinger exhaust system (this year). Then moving on to intake /manifold maybe this year, we’ll see how the funds hold up 🤑. Thanks again, I see your posts all around, you seem very knowledgeable on vettes, I am not yet, but will be! 🍻