Corvette Forums - Corvette Enthusiast Site

Corvette Forums - Corvette Enthusiast Site (https://www.corvetteforums.com/forum/)
-   Corvette C4 Forum (https://www.corvetteforums.com/forum/corvette-c4-forum-14/)
-   -   anyone have oil leak prob with their C4 (https://www.corvetteforums.com/forum/corvette-c4-forum-14/anyone-have-oil-leak-prob-their-c4-1509/)

Sullyvette48 03-23-2006 10:39 AM

anyone have oil leak prob with their C4

I have a 96 and It has like 30000 on it but it sat alot previous owner drove occasionally he was out of town alot, anyways Ive replaced all but the main seal and still I have a leak, is this a problem for anyone else??

redvet 03-23-2006 11:46 AM

RE: anyone have oil leak prob with their C4

I had a similar problem with my 92. If you are seeing a small drop or two of oil every now and then, could be the intake manifold gasket. The local Corvette "guru" diagnosed my leak. Hope this helps.

corvette king 03-23-2006 08:53 PM

i havea 92 and when i got it it left nickle size drops.check all senders in the block.for leaks.check valve cover bolts,the problem with centerbolt valve covers,[ stock] is you can only tourq them so much,and they like to leak,check the front and back of intake manifold. for leaks,check your oil filter,ifthe back of your block and converter is dry it is not the rear seal,check rack,check power stearing pump and lines, ..............and how much oil is on the ground?does it leak when the motor is off,,,or running,,,,

[IMG]local://upfiles/1664/FCD844B6F2E94454A492A73111CC1DE5.jpg[/IMG]

jetmech09 03-26-2006 01:22 AM

I have a 93 ,it had a oil leak that looked like it was comming from the rear main seal , but in fact it was comming out of the oil filter adapter. try to remove the filter and adapter and replce the seal.. hope this helps[IMG][/IMG]

raisinbran 03-27-2006 03:19 AM

ORIGINAL: redvet

I had a similar problem with my 92. If you are seeing a small drop or two of oil every now and then, could be the intake manifold gasket. The local Corvette "guru" diagnosed my leak. Hope this helps.
I definately agree that i may be the intake manifold gasket, or perhaps the sealant on the ends is bad.

nosactivated 03-27-2006 03:41 PM

I have an oil leak in my 1991 L98 I can't figure out. It only leaks when you drive the car. I get oil all over the top half of the right hand side of the motor next to the rear vavle cover (passengerside firewall). Oil is sprayed all over the engine compartment and I cant figure it out. I haved replaced the engine valve covers. I have checked the heads for warpage. They are okay. Does anyone have any ideas. It does not leak whne the car is at idel, but it not under pressure that way. The PCV vavle is working. Any ideas????

corvette king 03-27-2006 05:16 PM

sound like a intake manifold gasket,when you gas the car it builds oil press,60 psi so if your intake gaskets are leaking the oil will blow thrue the gasket,leave the car running and the open hood, pull throttle by hand and check were it is coming out from.first clean the top of the motor off so you will spot the leak easy,do you have any blow by coming from the top pvc valve, if it is on top of your motor it can be only somany things,valve covers,intak,sender on intake manifold, check your gaskets up top,

mrnickg 07-02-2019 05:35 AM

I also have a C4 with an oil leak that I'm did track down. It was coming from the crank position sensor and dripping on the top of the starter. The sensor has a O ring seal. It must have dried out from the car not being driven. I put a 8 oz can of Blue Devil in the oil. Drove about 50 miles and the leak stopped. I recommend this for anyone with a small leak. It worked great!

93LT1ARMYMEDIC 07-07-2019 08:40 PM

I have rebuilt many 350's and they are notorious for rear main seals and oil pan leaks

93LT1ARMYMEDIC 07-07-2019 08:42 PM

if its red then you are 100% correct sir