Corvette Forums - Corvette Enthusiast Site

Corvette Forums - Corvette Enthusiast Site (https://www.corvetteforums.com/forum/)
-   Corvette C4 Forum (https://www.corvetteforums.com/forum/corvette-c4-forum-14/)
-   -   Brake Rotors (https://www.corvetteforums.com/forum/corvette-c4-forum-14/brake-rotors-5671/)

95trplblkandtan 04-19-2007 01:55 PM

Brake Rotors

Alright, i posted earlier about brake pads, think im going to go ceramic, but i need some new rotors for my front brakeson my 95. I was looking at some slotted and cross drilled. I dont want to go OEM. I found some bendix slotted rotors for 97 dollars at advanced. is this a good price, can i find something at a better price, or should i spend more. Also i was wondering if anyone knew ifi can use a 12 or 13 inch rotor. All the vette mags sell both (12 & 13') for a 95, i dont want to have to do any mods, so which do i need...

JoeVetteman 04-19-2007 02:58 PM

RE: Brake Rotors

Hello,my friend.You said you have a '95? You're looking for some rotors? Well,have you heard of Baer Racing? They have this great set called Decelarotors.I put a set of '13s in the front and '12s in the rear of my '96,and they're awesome.And yes,they're cross-drilled and slotted.They go for about $500 a set.And by the way,you can put the '13s up front if you want.Just make sure,if you can,to get the heavy duty calipers;the ones the Grand Sports have.You can get a brand new set on e-bay for about $300.Good luck!!

95trplblkandtan 04-19-2007 08:03 PM

Thanks for the input, i probably wont go with the 13" if i have to upgrade the calipers. There are sets on ebay that are selling for around 150 bucks for front and rear rotors... are these brakes good or should i stay away. ill post a link to the ebay site

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Chevy...QQcmdZViewItem

mypetu39 04-20-2007 08:48 AM

I have purchased the cross-drilled rotors from a company in Toronto, Ontario for my '87 Vette two years ago and they are working very well; no warping. I paid $149.00Cdn for them and picked them up, saving $50Cdn in shipping charges. You know, a lot of our members don't trust eBay, but I've had no problems with getting quality parts for my Vette, and at amazing prices. Go back on eBay and search under CAR AND TRUCK PARTS. Good luck, and WELCOME !!! :D

mypetu39

LeesVette 04-20-2007 10:01 AM

If you use ceramic pads get ready for a LOT of brake dust.

Black86vette 04-21-2007 10:26 PM

Drilled/slotted do not give you better braking performance. They are for looks pretty much. The cheaper drilled ones tend to crack....If you look at the actual "racers' they use solid rotors....Also ceramic dust is very gray so it wont show noticable but if u wash ur car like your suppose to it shouldnt matter.

mech259 04-21-2007 10:59 PM

Drilled and slotted rotors are that way to help keep the rotors cooler and more free of the brake dust buildup in your brake pads. They cool off quicker, so there is more to them than just looks.

Black86vette 04-21-2007 11:44 PM

I see your point but overall they dont stop you faster unless you take heat into consideration and yes the slots do clean your pads....Im saying when you get down to the nitty gritty no they dont make make you stop 20 feet shorter.....

Devo 04-22-2007 10:52 AM

I'm with Mech on this. I changed out the stock rotors on mine and bought slotted and drilled rotors for the front and rear with ceramic pads. Yes, I could have bought Baer or half a dozen other makes. I ended up buying a set off ebay from V1specs:

Information

Cross-drilled holes aremachined by CNC Cadkey programmed to drill rotors specifically for the application. We use the same technique and rigorously tested methods that other leading hi-performance brake manufacturers such as Brembo, Baer and Zimmerman. The holes are drilled completely through the surface of the rotor enhancing airflow. The holes are chamfered to maintain the structural integrity and perfect balance of the rotor.Cross-drilling allows efficient ventilation keeping the rotors approximately 200-250 degrees cooler.
Slotted lines are designed specifically to help remove water, dirt, and brake dust build-up between the brake pads and rotors. With slots, brake pads are deglazed, improving contact between the pads and the rotors shortening the braking distance while increasing the effectiveness of brake response.
All V1 Specs rotors areSILVER ZINC platedto prevent rotors from rusting.

The seller has a 100% rating on 1200+ sales. I was skeptical since I only paid $120 for the rotors and $40 for shipping....but they work great. No vibration, pulling or fading. With the exception of the high end manufacturers, evidently all these things are made in China to US DOT specifications.

-John

Black86vette 04-22-2007 12:23 PM

www.corvetteforum.com That is where I got my information on the drilled and slotted rotors. Thats where my point is coming from. Do a search on there website and see what comes up.