Corvette Forums - Corvette Enthusiast Site

Corvette Forums - Corvette Enthusiast Site (https://www.corvetteforums.com/forum/)
-   Corvette C4 Forum (https://www.corvetteforums.com/forum/corvette-c4-forum-14/)
-   -   cruise controll problems (https://www.corvetteforums.com/forum/corvette-c4-forum-14/cruise-controll-problems-5553/)

jwigg 04-10-2007 04:52 PM

cruise controll problems

Hey to everyone!!! I am new here with the recent purchase of a 96 vette. Problem is the cruise doesn't work. I have checked the fuse, its ok. I replaced the cruise modulator under the steering colum and still no cruise controll. When I have the key on and push the button to engage the cruise the box under the hood that controlls the cruise clicks.
Any suggestions?
Thanks,[8D]

blueshark 04-10-2007 06:25 PM

RE: cruise controll problems

Welcome to the boards. This is a great place to learn. Unfortunately I have no clue about your particular problem but hang in and one of the experts will help. You may want to PM Mech259, he is a dang genius with these cars. Cheers

beauchampgl 04-10-2007 06:52 PM

YES HE IS!!

TopSpeed 04-10-2007 07:54 PM

I third that motion! :D

vrooomm 04-10-2007 09:33 PM

I'll forth it-he gave me the info I needed to defeat the vats on my neighbors car and steal it!!
Just kidding guys!!!!

mech259 04-10-2007 11:51 PM

Thanks for the flowers guys. Unfortunately, cruise control problems require testing with organized procedures and on a 96 model, you would need a good quality scan tool and a VOM (volt ohm meter). Otherwise, you will be doing the shotgun approach which you have heard me, as O'Reilly says, opine about before. Most cruise control problems usually arise from bad vacuum source to actuator, bad brake switch, or bad cruise switch. But still, it would be just a guess and could be expensive guessing at that. My best advice would be to take it to an ASE certified mechanic in your area that has a Tech 2 scanner that is familiar with it use and I think you would be money ahead. Sorry, wish I could help more.

red90vettesc 04-11-2007 01:57 AM

Also, check the main vacuum line to the cruise control servo located abover your battery. When I bought my car my cruise did notwork either. I discovered that the vacuum line to the servo was disconneted. Now my cruise it perfect, damn thing never lets it go more than one mph either direction. Pretty good for a car going on 18 yrs old.

mech259 04-11-2007 02:10 AM

ORIGINAL: mech259

Most cruise control problems usually arise from bad vacuum source to actuator, bad brake switch, or bad cruise switch. But still, it would be just a guess and could be expensive guessing at that.
:D

blueshark 04-11-2007 03:07 AM

I gotta say it again....Mech259, your avatar is the Sh!t! it cracks me up every time I see it.
Yoda's inter-racial(species) illegitimate child.... I love it.

TNTs 84 04-11-2007 03:26 AM

Mine does'nt work on my 84 either. I have things apart and I can tell all the linkage is working but it does'nt seem to hold the throttle when you set it. Is the system any easier to figure out on an 84 or am I better off taking mine into a mech?