Corvette C4 Forum 1984 through 1996

Antenna/ Radio Wiring Question?

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2017, 07:53 AM
Default Antenna/ Radio Wiring Question?

Bought my 1993 car couple months ago, fixing hack from previous owner. Have a failed aftermarket power antenna, ordered a new GM/Delco unit, but have issue with pink ignition wire sending signal. Previous owner installed a Clarion CX501, a huge amplifier sits under storage tray behind passenger seat, looks like there was no high-end Bose system in car.
Question is: How is pink wire fed voltage originally, from output of radio or from a fuse, out of fuse panel on right side of dash? I have pink wire continuity from connector at rear of car to storage tray, but don't know where to go towards front of car? Removed radio, to check connections, most Asian radios use the medium-blue colored wire to power antenna, there was no connection to radio, nor a pink ignition wire to be found, leading me thinking pink wire must go to fuse panel? There are two fuses indicated in owner's manual ( yes, manual was still with car,) 5amp fuse #4 and 20amp fuse #37. #37 is B+ as it runs cabin lighting. #4 fuse purpose is still undetermined. Searched here and online till my eyes hurt, for a wiring diagram. Any info on where one could be found? Does antenna extend when car is turned on, or when radio is turned on? I had several GM cars back in the day when power antennas ruled, seems like every time ignition was on, antenna extended, but I'd bet radio was turned on! Should I explore using the radio output, Clarion manual shows only 200 mil-amp output, might need another relay?

This is my second Corvette, last one a 1979, I bought new 38 years ago, it was a real chick magnet! Dang, gonna be 60 next month!!!! This is too old to be a mid-life crisis!

Last edited by surrfman; 10-16-2017 at 07:57 AM.
Old 10-17-2017, 09:48 PM
Super Moderator

Welcome to the forum.

Most power antennas go up when radio is turned on and down when turned off. I believe some had a defeat that would leave it up all the time.