Corvette Forums - Corvette Enthusiast Site

Corvette Forums - Corvette Enthusiast Site (https://www.corvetteforums.com/forum/)
-   Corvette C4 Forum (https://www.corvetteforums.com/forum/corvette-c4-forum-14/)
-   -   Engine Detailing (https://www.corvetteforums.com/forum/corvette-c4-forum-14/engine-detailing-5149/)

mraaron895 02-28-2007 09:35 PM

Engine Detailing

I have a 1986 corvette. What is the best way to clean the entire engine? Oil has leaked from the valve covers down the side and onto the exhaust pipes. I will be replacing the stock valve covers with new aluminum ones and new gaskets. Is it safe to pressure wash? What components should i cover up and be most concerned about?

Black86vette 02-28-2007 09:37 PM

RE: Engine Detailing

Dont pressure wash it. I did that about 2 months ago and it wouldnt start till it dried out. Take a toothbrush and engine brite from autoparts store and start scrubbing. Once you clean it up, get some high temp paint and spray paint the parts. You can get chrome pieces. You said you were replacing valve covers which should help. Also there is radiator hose covers. I think they are blue red and silver. Might want to look into those things. Goodluck.

JoeVetteman 02-28-2007 10:54 PM

Hi,my friend.Yes,you can pressure wash your engine as long as you take one precaution.You have a distributor,on the rear of your engine towards the firewall;MAKE SURE IT'S COVERED!!! Use a plastic bag,properly sealing your distributor,and don't forget to also cover your alternator! Keep away from all your electrical items,and the rest you can clean and detail yourself.I do it every 3 months on my '96 LT-1 and have no problems.Just remember to conceal your electrical stuff,and you should be ok.Your friend,Joe.

LeesVette 03-01-2007 02:08 PM

ORIGINAL: JoeVetteman

Hi,my friend.Yes,you can pressure wash your engine as long as you take one precaution.You have a distributor,on the rear of your engine towards the firewall;MAKE SURE IT'S COVERED!!! Use a plastic bag,properly sealing your distributor,and don't forget to also cover your alternator! Keep away from all your electrical items,and the rest you can clean and detail yourself.I do it every 3 months on my '96 LT-1 and have no problems.Just remember to conceal your electrical stuff,and you should be ok.Your friend,Joe.
If you are pressure washing an LT-1 then you are asking for trouble even if you have the vented opti.

beauchampgl 03-01-2007 07:38 PM

I agree with Black86vette and Leesvette. There was a white 93 at the local Chevy dealer's shop for months, just sitting there. I asked the service advisor what the story was with it. He told me the owner had the engine pressure washed and it wouldn't run at all after it got warm. The distributor had been replaced and it still wouldn't go. Don't know what the final outcome was but the car is gone now. Not worth the possible grief in my opinion.