Corvette Forums - Corvette Enthusiast Site

Corvette Forums - Corvette Enthusiast Site (https://www.corvetteforums.com/forum/)
-   Corvette C4 Forum (https://www.corvetteforums.com/forum/corvette-c4-forum-14/)
-   -   Fuel pump hot? (https://www.corvetteforums.com/forum/corvette-c4-forum-14/fuel-pump-hot-196/)

pbetts 07-06-2005 03:01 PM

Fuel pump hot?

I just lost a fuel pump on my '86. Someone told me this can happen when the gas tank runs low and then the fuel pump is not cooled properly. Anyone ever heard of this? Thanks.

JLITTY 07-22-2005 11:20 AM

RE: Fuel pump hot?

I cant say ive ever heard of that one, possible maybe but i highly doubt it.

bmwdiver 07-23-2005 12:45 PM

someone is spining a yarn for you. the pump isint even running all the time, it builds up to a preset value and the cycles. if your gas gets too low for the pick up to reach it, the pump runs for its predetermined amount of time and shuts off, just try it, put he key in the "on" acc position and have someone lestening to the gas cap at the same time he will hear a buz for a few seconds and then nothing.

ofcourse im assuming you have not completely modded your fuel delievry system, otherwise all bets are off

[sm=americanasmiley.gif]

micsonit 09-01-2005 12:05 AM

That is correct. There is no other way to cool a fuel pump in the gas tank and that goes for all fuel pumps that are located in the tank. I would suggest to keep your tank with atleast a half tank of gas or more. In the winter it is not as bad, but in the summer when it is hot the pump has no help to cool its self down. Last i checked no one puts cooling fans in the gas tank to cool.

Danase 09-01-2005 10:47 AM

ORIGINAL: bmwdiver
someone is spining a yarn for you. the pump isint even running all the time, it builds up to a preset value and the cycles. if your gas gets too low for the pick up to reach it, the pump runs for its predetermined amount of time and shuts off, just try it, put he key in the "on" acc position and have someone lestening to the gas cap at the same time he will hear a buz for a few seconds and then nothing.
ofcourse im assuming you have not completely modded your fuel delievry system, otherwise all bets are off
[sm=americanasmiley.gif]
When you turn your key to just the on acc position, the reason you only hear it run for a little bit of time is because it is sending fuel to the engine so it car start, instead of like the old days when you had to pump the gas pedal. I could be wrong but I could of sworn the fuel pump ran all the time.

micsonit 09-01-2005 09:45 PM

Do me favor and pull your fuel pump fuse when the car is running (that
shuts off the pump from running and only the fuel pump) and if you are
correct the car will still run. Bet it dies real quick. And if the fuel
dose not cool the pump then tell me what dose. I sell automotive info
to all the dealerships and garages in the state of Indiana. The noise
that you hear when you turn the key to the on position is the pump prime
and after that you still have to have presure to run the fuel system. I
will be glad to send you the fuel specs and how to test your fuel pump
with a fuel gauge. That is a fact.

Danase 09-02-2005 10:19 AM

ORIGINAL: micsonit
Do me favor and pull your fuel pump fuse when the car is running (that
shuts off the pump from running and only the fuel pump) and if you are
correct the car will still run. Bet it dies real quick. And if the fuel
dose not cool the pump then tell me what dose. I sell automotive info
to all the dealerships and garages in the state of Indiana. The noise
that you hear when you turn the key to the on position is the pump prime
and after that you still have to have presure to run the fuel system. I
will be glad to send you the fuel specs and how to test your fuel pump
with a fuel gauge. That is a fact.
What are you talking about? I never said anything about the gas not cooling the pump? Calm down bro, you seem to be looking for an argument or something. If you read what I posted "I could be wrong but I could of sworn the fuel pump ran all the time." You would of saw that I said "I could be wrong" meaning I was not 100% sure. :eek: