Corvette C4 Forum 1984 through 1996

headlight motor?

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2007, 01:36 PM
cwb
Default headlight motor?

I got the skip. It rotates the light all the way, but the motor continuesturning for a moment, then stops.

Can I pull the motor without loosening the headlight itself?

Do I have to pull the motor even?

Old 09-24-2007, 06:30 PM
cwb
Default RE: headlight motor?

bumpin' up here....

Old 09-24-2007, 06:48 PM
cwb

ORIGINAL: rshiver

Did you look at the worm gear when you replaced the gears? I'm no expert, and somebody correct me if I'm wrong, butif nothing else,even if the motor doesn't shut off, shouldn't it atleast stall out?You say the motor keeps running which leads me to suspect either the worm gear or the bushing at the end of the worm gear is worn out.

There should be a bushing at the end of the worm gear, if it's worn out, the worm gear may be kicking to one side and continue to run, otherwise it should just stall.

Once a motor hits the limit, a bumper inside the headlight motor slows down the motor to a halt. Once the gear inside the motor housing can no longer turn, the worm gear at the end of the motor will move up, which in turn triggers a limit switch which turns off the current.

It just baffles me that the motor continues to run even after the headlight reaches it's limit.

Go here and read the article, it should give you some idea about what might be wrong. I knowthe articlepertains to a Fiero, butthe headlight motorsare almost identical to the C4 corvettes.

http://www.fieros.de/en/articles/headlight.html
Good explanation!

I 'bolded' a line tho', that I ain't gettin' there... The next line, I'm with ya' on that one. But do you mean, "Once the headlight assembly hits the limit???

I'm gettin' ready to pull mine here...

Old 09-24-2007, 07:02 PM

Right, once the assembly hits it's limit, the motors stall, but the pressure from the motor forces the worm gear up and hits the limit switch and cuts the current flow. BTW...what year do you have?, they changed the system I think in either 87 or 88. If yours is the updated style it works different.

Old 09-24-2007, 07:05 PM
cwb

Right, once the assembly hits it's limit, the motors stall, but the pressure from the motor forces the worm gear up and hits the limit switch and cuts the current flow. BTW...what year do you have?, they changed the system I think in either 87 or 88. If yours is the updated style it works different.
Mine's '94. Whaddya know about that one?

Goin' up, or goin' down, it continues turnin' for about 3 seconds every time, before stoppin'.

Old 09-24-2007, 07:11 PM

OK, you have a 94, it works on a different principle. Yours is electronically controlled. On the style you have ....when the assembly hits it's limit the motors stall which causes the amps to rise. the sensor in the control module senses a rise in amps and cuts the current to the motor. The new system is a more reliable system. I updated mine to the 88 and up style.

Old 09-24-2007, 07:23 PM
cwb

OK, you have a 94, it works on a different principle. Yours is electronically controlled. On the style you have ....when the assembly hits it's limit the motors stall which causes the amps to rise. the sensor in the control module senses a rise in amps and cuts the current to the motor. The new system is a more reliable system. I updated mine to the 88 and up style.
When my assembly hits its limit, that's when the clickin' starts. 3 seconds or so, every time.

That's gotta' be stripped gears (or worm gear), that's supposed to push the worm gear up or down, to the cut-off contact.

Right? Or wrong?

Old 09-24-2007, 08:03 PM

you could possiblyhave stripped gears or worm gear, but the style you have doesn't use the worm gear to shut off the current. are you sure the clicking is coming from the motors? if so, Isit coming from one side or both, or does it sound like a relay is clicking?

Old 09-24-2007, 10:17 PM
cwb

you could possiblyhave stripped gears or worm gear, but the style you have doesn't use the worm gear to shut off the current. are you sure the clicking is coming from the motors? if so, Isit coming from one side or both, or does it sound like a relay is clicking?
Can't tell if it's a relay. I'm just thinkin' it's gears. Like the worm drive not contacting properly. But you say it's notthe shut-off contact type.

It's one side (right side - always is). I can see the top panel vibrating when it clicks. Raise the hood, and I can see the manual handle spinnin', after the assembly hits the 'open'limit.

I also just realized, if it's just parking lights on (headlights assembly closed), and I turn off the parking lights, the gears start clickin', even tho' the assembly was not open to start.

Why does it 'think' the headlight assembly was open[sm=smiley25.gif] The shut-off contact for 'close assembly' was not 'in contact'??? Where is it, if not on the worm drive?

I'll get in it tomorrow, and pic as I go. I need some way to activate remotely, as I disassemble...

Old 09-25-2007, 07:31 AM

Sounds like you might have a worn gear, or, and I'm leaning more toward this...the delrin bushings have disintegrated. The Delrin bushings are plastic bushings that are designed to disintegrate, if, for any reason, the control module doesn't shut the motorsoff. They do that to protect the motors.But, over time, they can become brittle andjust fall apart.

http://www.ecklers.com/product.asp?p...p;dept_id=1476

Quick Reply: headlight motor?