Corvette Forums - Corvette Enthusiast Site

Corvette Forums - Corvette Enthusiast Site (https://www.corvetteforums.com/forum/)
-   Corvette C4 Forum (https://www.corvetteforums.com/forum/corvette-c4-forum-14/)
-   -   Headlight Problems (https://www.corvetteforums.com/forum/corvette-c4-forum-14/headlight-problems-3537/)

rdn2113 10-15-2006 06:29 PM

Headlight Problems

I just recently acquired a 1984 as a project car, so I am new to the Corvette world - and I'm hooked already!

Being a Corvette newbie, I readily admit to knowing very little about them, although I am reading everything I can get my hands on.

On to the problem.

The headlights turn on but they won't pop-up. I can manually extend them, and then they will retract, but they won't go up under power.

Does this mean the motors are fried or should I be looking at something else?

Thanks in advance!

Rick

All2kool 10-15-2006 06:55 PM

RE: Headlight Problems

You drive your Corvette at night?

rdn2113 10-15-2006 08:39 PM

I'm not planning to, but it would be nice to make the headlights work just for the fun of it.

firemanjim 10-15-2006 11:20 PM

Ok, what kind of question is Do you drive your corvette at night?

I'm new too. Do mI need to know something?

mypetu39 10-16-2006 09:07 AM

I agree with Firemanjim......I'm hoping this wasn't a serious question....Anyway, I had the same problem this past Summer and MECH259, a moderator in this Forum solved my problem without me having to run around looking for the solution. I hope he reads this thread and answers to your situation. To me, the motors are probably done if it sat too long, but I'm no mechanic. A senior member who is a mechanic will respond to your plight, I'm sure.

mypetu39

mech259 10-16-2006 09:27 AM

Well, there are a few reasons they might not work. First, do you hear the motors running? If so, then more than likely the gear sets in the motors have stripped. Need to check power source to motors when you turn headlights on, because each headlight has its own relay. Could be relay, power source to relay, relay control, headlight switch .... Can you read wiring diagrams? If so, I can post a wiring diagram for you. Get back to me. [8D]

All2kool 10-16-2006 02:23 PM

I was just being funny folks (or so I thought). I was poking fun at the thread 'Let's Keep This Forum Going Over The Winter Months'; which was a thread relating to people who don't drive their Corvette's year round.

firemanjim 10-16-2006 07:03 PM

My bad..... Just wondering.........

rdn2113 10-20-2006 04:22 AM

Sorry for the delay in responding. Too busy.

Mech259 - yes, I can read a wiring diagram. To answer the question of what I hear - well, when the light switch is pulled on, the lights come on but there is no noise. I can manually raise the lights, and they will retract when I turn the light switch off, at which time I can hear the motors.

Thanks!

mech259 10-20-2006 09:34 AM

Here is a wiring diagram for your headlights. It's for an 86, but they are pretty much the same.