Corvette Forums - Corvette Enthusiast Site

Corvette Forums - Corvette Enthusiast Site (https://www.corvetteforums.com/forum/)
-   Corvette C4 Forum (https://www.corvetteforums.com/forum/corvette-c4-forum-14/)
-   -   Idle problems (https://www.corvetteforums.com/forum/corvette-c4-forum-14/idle-problems-6806/)

cwb 07-28-2007 11:18 AM

RE: Idle problems

ORIGINAL: lbelew

Old gaskets looked to be in good shape with no areas compromised. I'll hit it with the propane again. How do I troubleshoot the computer if the whole thing has been the computer from the start. thanks.
The parts retailer will usually plug in their scanner for free. If you do that, ask them if anything in the computer, and only in the computer,can get by their scanner.

Do not ask themabout a vacuum leak; they'll say if you can't hear it, there ain't one. And that ain't the case with a TPI. I know ya' don't wanna' hear it after all the intake re-workin', but I think you didn't get two parts seated properly.

Was there any part you weren't sure of when re-installin'? At all?

Thegasoline delivery process, and the ignition (spark) process, by themselves, will not cause the lopin' idle - only airflow process can do this.

lbelew 07-28-2007 02:31 PM

I have a code 43 and a code 44. The 44 more than likely is due to the 43. I can read these myself by jumping the appropriate ports in the diagnostics port. First I'll try the propane and if no joy I'll have to replace the ECM BASED ON THE CODE 43. THANKS.

cwb 07-28-2007 05:00 PM

ORIGINAL: lbelew

I have a code 43 and a code 44. The 44 more than likely is due to the 43. I can read these myself by jumping the appropriate ports in the diagnostics port. First I'll try the propane and if no joy I'll have to replace the ECM BASED ON THE CODE 43. THANKS.
I do NOT think they are related.

As far as the 43 code, I would NOT spring for a new ECM, until testing for a signal for timing retard. The 43 code says retard has been on too long (which would mean there IS a signal)OR ignition retard system failure (no signal). TEST FOR SIGNAL FIRST!!!

If 44 can mean vacuum leak, I'd go that way first. Since both codes COULD be because of ECM connections, and not necessarily a bad ECM, check all the leads with a probe.

Even if there's some short circuits to the ECM, you still got the loping idle.

Check the service manual for both codes, to see if it says go after one of the two codes first. Or did you already do that?

lbelew 07-28-2007 06:11 PM

Just checked it with the propane with no evidence of a vacuum leak. I think I'll pull the ecm and reboot it. Thanks.

mech259 07-29-2007 06:54 AM

Code 43 can be caused by bad knock sensor or broken wire to the knock sensor which is just in front of your starter.

lbelew 07-29-2007 08:28 AM

The knock sensor wouldn't affect my idle, would it. I rebooted the ecm last night and that didn't do anything for me. I think I'll pick up an ECMtoday to at least use as a trouble shooting tool. Thanks for the help.

mech259 07-29-2007 12:32 PM

Knock sensor won't affect idle. It is used by spark timing control to retard timing when detonation is picked up by sensor. Code 44 is a lean code and maybe the result, not the cause of poor idle problems. What kind of O2 readings do you have at idle and cruising speed?

cwb 07-29-2007 01:21 PM

ORIGINAL: cwb

As far as the 43 code, I would NOT spring for a new ECM, until testing for a signal for timing retard. The 43 code says retard has been on too long (which would mean there IS a signal)OR ignition retard system failure (no signal). TEST FOR SIGNAL FIRST!!!

Here's your ESC signal test:

Take the idle speed up a couple of hundred rev's over idle - 900 - 1000. Hit the block quickly on the passenger side a couple of times with a screwdriver. If the idle drops, yourESC system works (or at least has a signal complete circuit.

If there's no drop, there's no signal gettin' to the computer to retard the timimg.

84corvetteC4 08-05-2007 08:27 PM

sounds to me like your running lean, I also wouldnt give up on the vacuum leak possibilty until I was 100% sure it was not the problem[X(]

lbelew 08-05-2007 09:17 PM

Tearing the intake apart again insearch of a possible leak. Thanks.