Corvette Forums - Corvette Enthusiast Site

Corvette Forums - Corvette Enthusiast Site (https://www.corvetteforums.com/forum/)
-   Corvette C4 Forum (https://www.corvetteforums.com/forum/corvette-c4-forum-14/)
-   -   Intake Manifold Gasket Replacemen (https://www.corvetteforums.com/forum/corvette-c4-forum-14/intake-manifold-gasket-replacemen-9388/)

85vette80821 04-22-2008 02:25 AM

Intake Manifold Gasket Replacemen

Im going to be replacing the intake manifold gaskets this weekend as there is a coolant leak that I can see coming from above cylinders 5 and 7. I have a few questions before I take this task on. Will I be able to remove the right and left runners along with the plenum in one piece? If not, should I just replace the runner to plenum/manifold gaskets also since there are already apart? Ive seen gasket kits that include these gaskets in the kit. Since I will be removing the fuel rails and injectors, are there things I should get to replace on these parts, like o rings or c clips and such? Is there any hints or tips that you veterns can lend me before I do this project? Any information will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!

mech259 04-22-2008 10:41 PM

RE: Intake Manifold Gasket Replacemen

ORIGINAL: 85vette80821

Im going to be replacing the intake manifold gaskets this weekend as there is a coolant leak that I can see coming from above cylinders 5 and 7. I have a few questions before I take this task on. Will I be able to remove the right and left runners along with the plenum in one piece?
No, they have to come off seperately.

If not, should I just replace the runner to plenum/manifold gaskets also since there are already apart? Ive seen gasket kits that include these gaskets in the kit. Since I will be removing the fuel rails and injectors, are there things I should get to replace on these parts, like o rings or c clips and such? Is there any hints or tips that you veterns can lend me before I do this project? Any information will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!
Always replace gaskets, never reuse, since you will probably destroy them anyway. You will need upper and lower injector o-rings. There are a couple of hidden torx head bolts hiding under the plenum, so look carefully.

cwb 04-25-2008 10:26 PM

RE: Intake Manifold Gasket Replacemen

ORIGINAL: 85vette80821

Im going to be replacing the intake manifold gaskets this weekend as there is a coolant leak that I can see coming from above cylinders 5 and 7. I have a few questions before I take this task on. Will I be able to remove the right and left runners along with the plenum in one piece? If not, should I just replace the runner to plenum/manifold gaskets also since there are already apart? Ive seen gasket kits that include these gaskets in the kit. Since I will be removing the fuel rails and injectors, are there things I should get to replace on these parts, like o rings or c clips and such? Is there any hints or tips that you veterns can lend me before I do this project? Any information will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!
Clean workin' space is important.
Cleaned parts, AND bolts and bolt holes is always good too. Nothin' like a bolt goin' back into a grit-free hole.
Put string or fishin' line or a bread-bag tie on your injector retainer clips. If they go ballistic on ya', it's history.
I suggest a TOTAL dry fit first, skipping tough bolts (first and last runner-to-intake (you'll see)), and no torqueing.
Put a thin grease film on gaskets, and Trans-X on injector O-rings. TPI's are terrible for intake leaks, with all the components.