Corvette Forums - Corvette Enthusiast Site

Corvette Forums - Corvette Enthusiast Site (https://www.corvetteforums.com/forum/)
-   Corvette C4 Forum (https://www.corvetteforums.com/forum/corvette-c4-forum-14/)
-   -   need some clutch repalcement advice (https://www.corvetteforums.com/forum/corvette-c4-forum-14/need-some-clutch-repalcement-advice-1593/)

rjm 04-05-2006 12:50 PM

need some clutch repalcement advice

So I gotta replace the clutch assembly in my 93 vin "P" The car has the "sprung -2 pc style flywheel" and pull type T.O. bearing. I have 2 questions here. 1st, If I go with an aftermarket p. plate/disc what is a good o.e. replacement?- I don't need anything special here. 2nd, IF... the flywheel is beyond repair must I replace with same style or is there a conventional style replacement. I imagine this 36lbs behemoth must cost a fortune from the dealer and figured if I gotta replace it (hopefully it is ok but...!) I should look into alternatives - any input is appreciated.-Russ

corvette king 04-05-2006 01:43 PM

RE: need some clutch repalcement advice

WELL RUSS.I WOULD USE A CENTERFORCE CLUCH SET UP, AND FOR THE FLYWHEEL I THINK [FIDANZA] MAKES A LIGHTWEIGHT FLYWHEEL FOR YOUR VETTE COST IS AROUND $341.00 AND BY THE FLYWHEEL BEING LIGHT YOU WILL GAIN HORSE POWER ABOUT 25 MORE HORSES.THATS SOME GOOD HORSE POWER GAINS,

[IMG]local://upfiles/1664/63351265AA4F4988B293380317F9DF96.jpg[/IMG]

mech259 04-05-2006 11:49 PM

Your vette uses the same style of flywheel that most Chevy and Ford diesel's use. Most companies that refinish flyweels won't refinish the 2 piece type. There are replacement flywheels that are one piece that you can find with a little digging for a considerably less price than the dampened type. The type ypu have was designed to take a little of the clutch shudder out. We have replaced several truck types with replacement kits. If you change to the 1 piece flywheel, you will most likely have to change style of clutch to match the flywheel. Good Luck. [8D]

corvette king 04-09-2006 04:58 PM

ya i had the same fly wheel in my 87 duelie.the wheel was crap.when they go the really chatter,i replaced it with a aftermarket one cost me 700.00 for fly wheel and cluch kitif you can replace that fly wheel i would do it,mech is right you can not have it turned you have to buy a new one. big bucks.

nosactivated 04-18-2006 11:03 PM

I know this dont apply to your car. But I have a 1991 automatic and I had to have tranny work done. So I had it completely rebiuldt with billet parts and had Raybestos clutch plates put in. I'm sure they make them for any manual tranny. THEY cost more but they are completely made to be either resurfaced or remanufactured with new plates. SO far they have held up with all the abuse I give them. It sounds like you are going to put in a new pressure plate and other parts so it is something to consider. In the long run it is worth the money. Especialy if you are hard on the car.

Eagle223usa 05-03-2006 12:54 AM

I know this thread is a little old.....But I just wasted the clutch in my 95. Well I started looking around at what was available and made a few phone calls. Mid America told me the lightweight Fidanza would make alot of noise, not chatter, noise as the GM Dual Mass flywheel was designed to dampen tranny gear noise. New GM parts, and just parts about 1500 clams. Ouch. Anyone here actually running a Fidanza? I would love to save the money and gain HP, But unless its exhaust rumble, noise sucks. RJM what did you go with and how do you like it?
Eagle

mech259 05-03-2006 03:33 AM

We have replaced several dual mass setups on diesels and Corvettes with the single flywheel setup at my shop with different brand names that I can't recall right now and as of yet had no noise problems. [8D]

corvette king 05-03-2006 05:53 PM

THE NAME OF THE CLUTCH I REPLACED IN MY DIESEL WAS A LUKAS CLUTCH.

Eagle223usa 05-04-2006 07:19 PM

Mech259, Thanks for the reply. I only want to do this once. I want to do it right. The car only has 50,000 miles on it. I don't want it to sound like a rattle trap. I also don't want to spend 30% of what I paid for it on a clutch. The local speed shop about 20 mi's up the road just put a single Centerforce clutch into a 94 ZF6. At about 2000 hrs. I'm going up there to take it for a ride. If its cool he has my business, All for a cool grand. Hope it works. Having a broken Vette on these nice spring days is such a bummer.
Eagle[sm=boohoo.gif]

ernie22golf 12-12-2006 06:48 PM

Eagle223,
What did you end up doing on your clutch replacement - I have the same problem and am looking for advice.
Thanks