Corvette Forums - Corvette Enthusiast Site

Corvette Forums - Corvette Enthusiast Site (https://www.corvetteforums.com/forum/)
-   Corvette C4 Forum (https://www.corvetteforums.com/forum/corvette-c4-forum-14/)
-   -   new emblems (https://www.corvetteforums.com/forum/corvette-c4-forum-14/new-emblems-8516/)

ZR1clone 12-29-2007 06:47 PM

new emblems

Hi everyone! Just wanted to say that I hope everyone had a Merry Christmas and hope we all have a safe and happy New Year. Aside from that, I got new rear and front emblems from my wife for Christmas and just put them on. The rear was easily done in about 3 min. The hood emblem on the other hand was an exceptional pain in the @$$! Word to the wise... Get a deep-well socket 10mm with a magnet if possible. If anyone has tried to replace the front they can chime in and confirm the hassle.[&:] I pushed a strong small magnet into the socket to hold the 10mm nut-like fasteners. Big hassle... be careful not to drop them its a b!tch to get them.[:@] Sorry for the language but needed to vent a bit. After a little fabrication, some deep breaths and 40 min later with my wife's help... the 1990 vette coupe white zr1 clone looks brand new.:D Thanks for you time in reading hope this can help someone else.
- Kevin;)

LeesVette 12-31-2007 12:59 PM

RE: new emblems

I replace mine over the Christmas holidays. Same thing happened to me on the front emblem. Both nuts fell off in the hood cavity. My new (GM parts) emblems only had post and when I treid to put the nuts back on it just broke the posts off. Now they are held on with the sticky tape that came on the emblems.

ZR1clone 12-31-2007 10:40 PM

[:'(]That sucks man! Sorry to hear the bad news. Hopefully the tape is really strong. Hey, at least the new emblems looks good though right?

LeesVette 01-02-2008 07:19 AM

Yeah, that look 100 times better than the faded to almost white ones I had.

mech259 01-02-2008 11:23 PM

Easiest way to do that is use chassis grease around the edge of the nut, holds it in the socket and since it is a speed nut, it can't drop down inside the socket. [8D]

RudeDog 01-03-2008 06:21 AM

ORIGINAL: LeesVette

I replace mine over the Christmas holidays. Same thing happened to me on the front emblem. Both nuts fell off in the hood cavity. My new (GM parts) emblems only had post and when I treid to put the nuts back on it just broke the posts off. Now they are held on with the sticky tape that came on the emblems.

That sounds like one of my projects unfortunately. This gives me another reason to procrastinate replacing mine...[&:]

Toms94 01-03-2008 04:20 PM

It's not that bad if you follow mech259's suggestion and take your time. If you drop the speednuts they are almost surely lost forever. If you drop them and get them out you are truly a lucky person.

blueshark 01-03-2008 08:52 PM

I got lucky with one of mine and retrieved it with a high powered magnet that I got from a machienestfriend. funny thing is I only droped onebut came up with two. LOL!:DI bet somebody else was cussin' at an earlier attempt. after that I used some two sidded tape I had. worked good. Cheers

ZR1clone 01-03-2008 10:41 PM

Glad to hear the info about the grease. I dropped mine and lucked out to get a strong magnet too. Good luck to all on the new emblems.