Corvette C4 Forum 1984 through 1996

Screw it....the car is a piece of ****...

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2007, 06:56 PM
Default Screw it....the car is a piece of ****...

Omg. Its not bad enough that of course my heater core is going out**thanks to leesvette** which is basically 600 dollars......Well I walked out of school today at 2:30 and cranked the key.....NOTHING NO CLICK NO NOTHING......The gauges came on and the battery was charged at 12.3....So why dont it start...hmmm, lets see.....fuel filter? Nope replaced that a couple months ago...Bad gas? umm no I have been riding around on this for 2 days now. Bad starter alternator or battery.....umm no....replaced all of them with ACdelco and a optima battery....Sparkplugs? Nope Just replaced with AC delco rapid fires.....Wires nope they are ACdelco as well. New coil, distibutor, distibutor cap, rotor button.....ect....all from NAPA autoparts. And I made sure they were good parts. I had the choice of getting the cheapie napa parts or the higher ones. These said approved by nascar so w/e....Why wont the **** thing start. I gotta know a.s.a.p. cuz we have to have it towed in a couple hours if no help is found.....Its going.....I cant take it......I was stuck at my school for a freakn hour and a half with a dead car!!! A piece of advice to everyone. If you think your car is nice looking and works great, SAVE YOUR MONEY. Do not buy cosmetics for it. Cuz sure enough your gunna need that $$ down the road for repairs. [&:]

Old 03-14-2007, 07:37 PM
Default RE: Screw it....the car is a piece of ****...

The first thing I would check is the connections at the battery. I have found that side post terminals are notorious for working loose. There is enough juice to light up the electronics but not enough to engage the starter. If need be, disconnect them (5/16" wrench), check for corrosion, wire brush, sandpaper, fingernail file, or whatever them to clean them up, and the battery terminals, too, and reconnect. If that doesn't work, if you havea manual, perhaps whatever it is that prevents the starter to engage unless the clutch is fully depressed broke or is corroded. Other than that, I couldn't guess off the top of my head. GOOD LUCK!!

Old 03-14-2007, 07:43 PM

Clutch? Mines a automatic....I have 9 clutch disc instead of the stock 6 though....Dunno if that would make a difference. [&:]

Old 03-14-2007, 08:53 PM

Vote #2 on battery connections, wiggle them babies around!

Old 03-14-2007, 10:22 PM

Yay. Fixed. Yes the battery cables were a little loose. Wtf? Why wont they stay tight....ne way it was that vats system. It was acting up.If i could find it id rip thestupid thing out..... [&:]

Old 03-15-2007, 11:45 AM

Do Have the VATS Bypass switch thinger? I also have an 86' auto, and it seems to work, also you can switch the bypass bitall the way off, so if someone tries to steal you car they will not be able to start it unless they know what and where the VATS bypass thinger is!!!

Ryan

Old 03-15-2007, 02:13 PM

hey glad you got it fixed before you junked it [sm=signs003.gif]

Old 03-15-2007, 11:01 PM

Same thing happened today. It was in my driveway though and I kept trying to crank it but it wont turn over. Took three hours for the alarm to set itself. I talked to my shop teacher so heres what he told me. My car has the Vats system along with the remote control alarm by "Python". He said take out both of those and put in a "Viper" alarm system by a reputable shop. Let it stay out in the weather with the alarm on thru rain and shine to help break it in so it wont be so sensitive. He said that having all these alarms is making the other one fight itself and its hurting the electrical system. Is this correct or am I going on the right path here?

Old 03-16-2007, 10:14 AM

If you are looking for any ideas about VATS go here:

http://www.vatssucks.com/

Old 03-17-2007, 05:16 PM

LOL that was a funny website. I took it to this audio place here in concord and they are redoing my speakers. YAY! and deleting the vats system along with the python system because the buttons wore out on that thing a while back. I am thinking of going with a viper keyless entry alarm but I will see how everything works out with this setup then go from there. I was thinking about rnning a spare battery to help keep the car well charged. I have a new ACDelco alternator and the Redtop optima battery. Is this enough to keep the sytem air conditioner digidash and upgraded headlights on at the same time or will it give.

Quick Reply: Screw it....the car is a piece of ****...