Corvette Forums - Corvette Enthusiast Site

Corvette Forums - Corvette Enthusiast Site (https://www.corvetteforums.com/forum/)
-   Corvette C4 Forum (https://www.corvetteforums.com/forum/corvette-c4-forum-14/)
-   -   supercharger (https://www.corvetteforums.com/forum/corvette-c4-forum-14/supercharger-2713/)

blueshark 08-17-2006 11:46 PM

supercharger

I have a 1987 coupe with an auto and 350TPI L98?, I was wondering if chevrolet offered a blower for this engine. what would you need to add or change in order to put one on?

Lee Willis 08-17-2006 11:47 PM

RE: supercharger

Chevrolet didn't at the time, and doesn't now, but others do. Check with various aftermarket suppliers -- start with the advertisers on this forum.

blueshark 08-18-2006 12:38 AM

Caint find one for '87 5.7. I'll keep looking thanks.

94blackC4 08-18-2006 01:21 AM

theres actually quite a bit you should probably consider doing to your motor in order to make it strong enough to support a supercharger. its almost midnight here now, but i will expand more tomorrow if you like...

TopSpeed 08-18-2006 03:03 PM

Yeh, bro, 94blackC4 is right here... depends on how much boost you are shooting for... if you stick to under 4lbs-ish, you might be OK, but anything over 6lbs I'd suspect that things could need some considerin'.... remember, adding a blower to a motor puts a whole lot more strain on it... things like pistons, valve springs... etc. etc. etc. can all of a sudden become prone to breaking due to the extra load.... not to mention, in an ideal world, you want to drop lower compression pistons in there..... just a thought. I suspect our techs here could offer a lot more up, as can 94blackC4 as they all know a lot more about this than I probably do....

Just as a matter of note, we had a Cobra GT last year. She was OK, no 'Vette mind you.. anyways, I wanted to stuff a huffer on our 302. Started diggin' into things for real. Needed new heads, new springs/valves, new pistons (low comp), new cam, the ECU needed work to deal with the changes to the way the car ran (i.e. a whole new aftermarket ECU), THEN, the tranny would probably blow, and the rear end could go, too, so... anyways, it turned out to be around $10k to do it totally right up here, and the car wasn't near worth it....... now, our 'Vette's are certainly worth it!! Just wanted to mention all this, just to help you know what you are getting into here. :)

blueshark 08-20-2006 12:35 AM

Thanks for the replies. I aminvestigating and entertaining the idea. 94 if you have time....thanks.

94blackC4 08-20-2006 03:03 AM

Blueshark, send me a PM and ill reply to the best of my knowledge. I would be more than willing to help you and if i dont know the answer, i am not going to make something up. I will simply tell you that you will have to ask a mechanic (lol, sometimes they make stuff up too!). But, in the PM just let me know exactly what you need to know. Wether it be what i would recommend for supercharging your beast or what kind of supercharger. That would just make it a lot easier for me! I cant wait to hear from you to help you out

raisinbran 08-21-2006 01:56 AM

check out pro charger or blowerworks.net. Call them up, and im sure they can answer all of your questions