Corvette C5 Forum 1997 through 2004

Headlight craziness

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2017, 06:38 PM
Default Headlight craziness

Hey all.. I've got a weird one here that I'm hoping someone can help me out with. I searched the forum to see if anyone else had this happen and it usually came down to the gears.

About 2 weeks ago, all of a sudden while turning off the headlights on my c5, both lights close as they should and the lights go out.. but then the driver's light pops back up. There's no stripped plastic gear noise, etc as I replaced them with the bronze gears a couple years ago. The headlight motor isn't running on or anything. This all started after detailing the engine. After the degreaser, etc I usually spray the engine detailer all over to get it looking really good. I'm thinking some of it may have gotten into the electrical plug to the motor, so I've already disconnected and brushed the connectors hoping to get any corrosion or anything else in there and reconnected ... same thing happens. A local guy from another Vette group on FB mentioned that it quite possibly could be the motor housing being cracked, giving the motor play and causing this. I looked and the motor appears to be intact.

its really annoying and I'm tired of looking like an *** with one headlight popped up during the day when I drive it. I know I can manually lower it and probably will tonight. However I'm thinking it will just do it again the next time I use them.

Has anyone ever encountered in this manner? .thanks in advance. There are some incredibly SICK vettes on here!

Old 11-03-2017, 09:49 AM
Super Moderator

Welcome to the forum.

Assuming that the motor is driving the headlight back up, then it has to be getting voltage to do that from somewhere that it shouldn't. Is there a limit switch that signals the computer when the headlight has been retracted and maybe that is where the problem is?

Some of the aftermarket Corvette suppliers have wiring diagrams that might be beneficial in troubleshooting this issue.

Old 07-08-2018, 08:21 PM

Having the same problem, was hoping you know what the fix is

Thanks
Paul

Old 07-09-2018, 12:53 AM
Super Moderator

Welcome to the forum.