Corvette C5 Forum 1997 through 2004

First corvette: coupe vs convertible

Old 10-29-2011, 12:28 PM
Default First corvette: coupe vs convertible

Hope to hear from folks who have owned both. I'm looking at early C5s (1997-1999), and I'm trying to figure the pros/cons such as:
  • time to get roof on/up. (hopefully before it starts raining!)
  • highway noise
  • repairs/maintenance/cost of ownership
    • cost to maintain vs resale return potential
    • insurance difference(?)
    • theft & break-ins
  • joy to drive
    • local track: never done it--only plan to cruise & drive to work. .. but what fraction of forum members get into autocross (etc) after getting their first c5?
    • "top up convertibles" -- I see it a lot. How many people think they want a rag top, but end up keeping the top up due to wind/sun/noise.. ie, how many people like the image, but can't/don't live the lifestyle?
  • ease to find a stock/unmodified car
What am I missing?

Ultimately, it's a personal preference, and I realize that. I need to drive both--it's on my "to do" list. But in the meantime I thought I'd ask. (FWIW, I'm not interested in a Z06 for my first 'vette, stock is fine.)

Thanks

PS This is my first post; let me know if it should go elsewhere

Old 10-30-2011, 12:25 PM

OK. I did a few more searches. Really, I did search before, but not swapping word order "convertible vs. coupe" & other variants. Sorry for trying trying to beat on an old topic.

But I still have questions, especially about C5. Also, no one has talked at all about cost of ownership.

... Just in case I'm not alone, I'll post whatever I find along the way.

Best 2 threads, mostly on C6 (some C5 comparisons):
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...-vs-coupe.html
http://www.digitalcorvettes.com/foru...ad.php?t=74487

#1 thing I learned, that most people seem to agree on, is that the coupe with no roof has more noise than the top down convertible.. That surprised me. I thought they'd be about the same.

Top remaining questions:
  • Anyone with a direct C5 vs. C5 comparison?
  • Wind screen: similar to to the wind level in a coupe?
    • Especially with windows up: any huge difference? noise?
    • Coupe: Is there a "wind screen top" for the coupe? .. Silly, yes! But.. you never know.
  • Insurance
  • Garage vs street: how long will each last if always parked outside?

... Since I can't find C5 discussion, it makes me wonder if either: a) all C5 owners are now C6 owners, or b) C5 owners are too busy driving to write in a forum.

Old 11-01-2011, 11:34 PM

We have one of each. My wife has a convertible (01), and I have a coupe (99). Honestly, as far as I am concerned, the coupe suites me better, but the wife loves her 'vert. They both leak about the same, vert has a bit more road noise, but the top(s) (have both clear and painted) squeak on the coupe, the coupe has more room for stuff, but for cruising, you can't beat a convertible... It takes about equal time for me to put a top up vs popping in a roof panel.
I guess you have to consider your lifestyle and how you are going to use the car. Obviously, the convertible top is not going to do as well if parked outside, but the clear tops for the coupes, tend to show their age if kept outside as well.
I'm not aware of any difference in insurance rates, but it makes sense that it would be easier to break into a convertible. As for maintenance, I am currently planning to replace the top on our vert, and looking at about $1200. The top would be the only variable unless you need to raplace a roof panel (search flying roof club).
We both love our C5s. We have had C4s, and I have actively looked at, and test driven C6s a couple of times, but never felt compelled to make the change. There are still many stock or mildly modified, low mileage C5s out there, so look around.

Old 11-12-2011, 08:12 PM

I owned my 68 vert for almost 22 years and actually kept the top off (hardtop that could be hoisted up and left suspended) for entire Summers but in the end, I sold the vert and bought my 01 coupe. City driving with a vert is fun but as soon as I hit the highway, all that fun ended after a few miles. The interior needed cleaning much more often than does my 01's interior. And while I have taken my translucent top off my coupe at times, I keep it on 99% or the time. Having the interior lit up (you can see the trees and clouds through the polycarb top) while still being able to appreciate the Bose stereo system takes precidence over having a top that is easier to put down, at least in this stage of my life.

I also test drove a 2001 vert but as I mentioned, the top-down life is not for me on a day-to-day basis anymore. I thought it's be a good chpice for someone who never had a vert and who does not have to drive on the highway to work or simply would use it as a weekend cruiser.

Regarding the coupe: Wind noise and cross speed is definitely reduced when the windows are up and there is less turbulence with the vert when windows are all the way down.

Insurance should be similar if both are garaged but I would guess that the vert would cost more if left outside. Darker colors and reds are more likely to be damaged if left out in the sun for extended periods. I cover my Mag red II C5 when I take it to work. The polycarb top will craze/delaminate if left out in the sun for extended periods. My top is in perfect condition and never leaks.

Old 12-01-2011, 06:58 PM

What! Rag top is the only way to own a vette! If you have a hard top why not just get an automatic! Put the top down! The burning rubber smells better that way!!!

Old 09-03-2012, 10:49 AM

Top goes down price goes up ! C5 Convert. Tops are easy to raise & lower. Granted, when top is down trunk space is limited. Research a classic car Co. like Grundy for your insurance. Really great rates.

Old 09-04-2012, 08:28 PM
Default convertible

unless you are looking to park a DD outside, buy a vert! I own a pure stock 99 vert. 6M, w/20,000 mi.
The joy to drive is a 10 out of 10.
My only plan is to replace the GY F1 runflat tires with a set of Michelins or Nittos. The road noise on the hwy with the GYs is distracting, top up or down.
Trunk space is limited.
Insurance is $500/yr. from Hagerty.
Get a Stick

I leave it garaged, top down and take her out on sunny days or an evening out with my BH.

Old 09-05-2012, 05:25 PM

I guess you didn't see this question by the OP:

Garage vs street: how long will each last if always parked outside?
Rag tops can be easily sliced open, so I would recommend a coupe, especially if it is to left outdoors.