Corvette Forums - Corvette Enthusiast Site

Corvette Forums - Corvette Enthusiast Site (https://www.corvetteforums.com/forum/)
-   Corvette C5 Forum (https://www.corvetteforums.com/forum/corvette-c5-forum-13/)
-   -   Front End Noise on C5 Coupe (https://www.corvetteforums.com/forum/corvette-c5-forum-13/front-end-noise-c5-coupe-7526/)

Chuxter 09-03-2007 10:33 PM

Front End Noise on C5 Coupe

I bought a 2000 coupe with 8100 miles on it about 2 months ago. Very clean car. Carfax verified mileage and no accidents or anything. I now notice a noise when I turn the wheels. The noise seems to go away after it warms up. It sounds like a scraping or rubbing noise. Any ideas? Also, I really enjoy the forum -- lots of good info. Thanks!

chargedvette02 09-04-2007 12:17 AM

RE: Front End Noise on C5 Coupe

Is it when you turn it all the way to each side or just a little ways to each side?

Chuxter 09-04-2007 08:05 AM

It does not have to be turned all of the way in either direction.

chargedvette02 09-04-2007 01:55 PM

Anything that I can find about what your describing is plastic pieces rubbing together in the steering column.

LTstewy8 09-04-2007 10:15 PM

or the leaky differential syndrome. it took me awhile to find out where the noise was coming from when it happened to me.

Chuxter 09-09-2007 07:38 PM

I do have a leaky differential. Are you saying that this could be causing the noise? I don't think that it is low on fluid. Also, now I listen for it more often and have discovered that I can hear the noise when it is hot or cold.

Thanks all of you for your help.

cwb 09-09-2007 09:17 PM

ORIGINAL: Chuxter

The noise seems to go away after it warms up.
SEEMS to go away???

Chuxter 09-10-2007 12:30 PM

The sound does not go away, but it is not as loud or noticeable.

LTstewy8 09-10-2007 08:24 PM

if your differential is leaking i can pretty much guarantee you this is the reason. you probably lost some limited slip additive. get some limited slip additive from gm (you can get it at the dealer) and put the whole bottle in the differential. then drive around in tight circles to see if the noise went away. if it goes away for awhile then comes back your differential is still leaking and you should look into getting the differential fixed.

riley 09-11-2007 09:19 AM

My diff makes a sort of a groaning noise if I turn a real tight circle when first starting the car. I don't really hear it after that. I don't think that the diff is leaking because there is never any oil spots on the floor and when I was under there awhile back I didn't see any oil stains. I think that I read somewhere (this forum maybe) that it's normal and that the additive will help some.