Corvette C5 Forum 1997 through 2004

harmonic balancer

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2006, 12:59 PM
Default harmonic balancer

I am having trouble with my harmonic balancer. It has "walked" out from its original position and now rests about .030" away from the bar that is in front of it. i was wondering what tools i will need to replace it and how complicated of a fix this will be. is it possible to replace without having to take it to the dealer and have them rape my wallet.

Old 10-19-2006, 01:13 PM
Default RE: harmonic balancer

I would definately check that center bolt that holds that balancer on, and see if it is loose. Not real hard to change or install, you will need access to the front of the engine however, and a good harmonic balancer installer. The prep work just to get to it will probably be a few hours, but a do-it-yourselfer with some basic knowledge could accomplish it.
I say this cause i changed the one on my truck a few years ago, and once I got the shroud, fan, radiator, and everything else out of the way, it was relatively easy, just time consuming.

Old 11-02-2006, 11:24 PM

New kid on the block! I have a 2000 c5 and also have harmonic balancer problem. Mine appears to be wobbling considerably. Not sure what could cause it and was wondering if the wobbling is an indication of the front of the crankshaft being bent. I can not determine if the bolt is loosened.

Old 11-02-2006, 11:38 PM
Super Moderator

First, Welcome to CF.
Your crank isn't bent, but the balancer is either loose or it is comming apart. You might want to tighten it, or change it, like, real soon!

Old 11-03-2006, 01:14 AM

Thanks C3. I was told that it was probably bent since the center bolt wobbled with the pulley. I have parked it until I can get it in to change. Since I am a new to Corvettes, is this very common to any particular year or modelds that you know of?

Appreciate the comments

jr

Old 11-03-2006, 01:31 AM
Super Moderator

Since the center bolt wobbles too, the bolt is loose and about to fall out. Go ahead and remove the bolt and make sure that the threads are alright. The pully bolts to the balancer, check these bolts also.
This happens from time to time with different cars, not just Vettes. It's only happened to me once, about 20 years ago on a 350 that was in my Chevy 4X4.

Old 11-03-2006, 03:59 PM

I would replace the balancer: cheap insurance and they can wear out.

Note: you have to get a NEW BOLT whenever you re-tighten the bolt on the harmonic balancer. GM uses an elastic thread bolt that stretches slightly to lock it in place with the proper torque. Trouble is, once it stretches that is it - you cannot re-use it.

Go to the dealer and buy a new bolt - every dealer keeps lots in stock. You can only use it (tighten it to spec ONE TIME. When you next take it off, you must replace it -- even if you try to re-use it, it will loosen again. could be that your bolt came loose because someone re-used it last time they working on the harmonic balancer

Old 11-03-2006, 04:00 PM

I would replace the balancer: cheap insurance and they can wear out.

Note: you have to get a NEW BOLT whenever you re-tighten the bolt on the harmonic balancer. GM uses an elastic thread bolt that stretches slightly to lock it in place with the proper torque. Trouble is, once it stretches that is it - you cannot re-use it.

Go to the dealer and buy a new bolt - every dealer keeps lots in stock. You can only use it (tighten it to spec ONE TIME. When you next take it off, you must replace it -- even if you try to re-use it, it will loosen again. could be that your bolt came loose because someone re-used it last time they working on the harmonic balancer

Old 11-03-2006, 04:28 PM
Super Moderator

Right on Lee, I got it! Thanks Dude.