Corvette Forums - Corvette Enthusiast Site

Corvette Forums - Corvette Enthusiast Site (https://www.corvetteforums.com/forum/)
-   Corvette C5 Forum (https://www.corvetteforums.com/forum/corvette-c5-forum-13/)
-   -   jack (https://www.corvetteforums.com/forum/corvette-c5-forum-13/jack-17737/)

lcvette99 07-27-2017 06:06 PM

jack

did the c5 corvettes come with a jack

73shark 07-28-2017 03:21 PM

I would think that even a car with run-flat tires would still have a jack. You could check the owner's manual to be sure.

C5VetteGuy 12-13-2017 08:50 PM

No Jack On C5's

thedhuddist 02-13-2018 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by 73shark (Post 73785)
I would think that even a car with run-flat tires would still have a jack. You could check the owner's manual to be sure.

Are they all run-flat tires? Is there a way to determine if they are? For example, if they've been replaced?
-t

73shark 02-13-2018 10:21 AM

I would guess there is some nomenclature on the sidewall that would indicate that they are run-flat since that's kind of important.

C5VetteGuy 02-13-2018 01:17 PM

Jack

Originally Posted by 73shark (Post 73785)

As others confirmed there is no Jack.
Only a can of Fix-A- Flat and a small compressor
Pretty much useless

I have 2 C5's and I don't like the idea of driving around with no spare and I hate run flats--no run flats for me.
Past 2 years I've had 3 side wall punctures on 3 different cars (none on the C5's), Jersey roads are full of pot holes and debris which are pretty much invisible at 70 mph in the rain and at night--which is when all 3 happened.
Fix-A-Flat and compressor would have been useless as would run flats been useless.
I carry small harbor freight floor jacks in all my cars and have either full size spares or if none available I have the donut spare.

For my Vettes I found the donut spare for a 2011 Caddy CTS fits perfectly on the Vette. I know this because I have a 2011 CTS and tried the spare on the Vette. Perfect fit. I found a new unused CTS spare on line that I move from Vette to Vette.
I have a C5 convertible street car and a C5 Z06 modified for road racing although it's street legal. It's substantially lower then stock.
I found very low profile light weight scissors jacks on line. They fit perfectly under the C5 convertible with the tire deflated. I need to get a 2" block of wood under the Z06 for the jack to fit under the deflated tire.
I had a socket that fits my 3/4" drive breaker bar welded to the end of each of the scissors jacks, this way no screwing around with the piece of crap jack handles that come with the scissors jacks.
And I need a 5/16" wheel spacer on the Z06 front so the spare fits over the larger Wilwood calipers.
So far only time I used the scissors jack was to help a person stranded late at night middle of no where waiting for AAA that never showed. The scissors jack and breaker bar lifted that car quick and painlessly.

Today, 63% of new cars do not come with a spare of any kind. They all come with the fix-a-flat and a compressor.
My wife and I travel a lot and are in a lot of rental cars. Last thing I check before driving off is to see if they have a spare. None had spares all but a few had the Fix-A-Flat and compressor. The ones without probably had them stolen.

I don't understand how the gov't mandates the useless TPMS (which I had deleted from both Vettes ) but does not mandate a spare.
Makes no sense to me except that the auto makers paid the right politicians off to let them get away without a spare in every vehicle sold.

achesley 03-05-2018 06:38 PM

I'm in the process of going to non run flats also on my 03 Coupe. A plug kit, air pump and scissor jack with a socket welded on the end also. Keep a 1/2 in rachet in in toolkit.

C5VetteGuy 03-05-2018 07:42 PM

Originally Posted by achesley (Post 74393)
I'm in the process of going to non run flats also on my 03 Coupe. A plug kit, air pump and scissor jack with a socket welded on the end also. Keep a 1/2 in rachet in in toolkit.

Achesley
You're almost there. All you need is is a spare. Hopefully you'll never need to use it