Corvette Forums - Corvette Enthusiast Site

Corvette Forums - Corvette Enthusiast Site (https://www.corvetteforums.com/forum/)
-   Corvette C5 Forum (https://www.corvetteforums.com/forum/corvette-c5-forum-13/)
-   -   My 98 won't start, low voltage on dash (https://www.corvetteforums.com/forum/corvette-c5-forum-13/my-98-wont-start-low-voltage-dash-8326/)

myc5 12-06-2007 10:35 AM

RE: My 98 won't start, low voltage on dash

The battery was in about a month, than this happened.

myc5 12-06-2007 10:39 AM

Thanks CG
That makes sense about the VATS.

I am believe it may be the ignition switch, I don't have full voltage at the fuse when the ignition switch is ON. I will be replacing the ignition switch this weekend and will let everyone know how it turns out...
Thanks for the replies

cwb 12-08-2007 07:51 PM

You gotta' getta' wiring diagram, and find out where the power and ground is for the circuit that controls the items indicated on the system console.

GM in the late '90's (and maybe earlier, and maybe early 2000's), have several electronically-controlled items on one 'circuit'. For example, my '98 GMC (GM) has one circuit called circuit 1020, which is 4 wheel dr controller, tranny controller, dash guages, and a few other items also. If you lose power to the circuit, codes for each item light up, even tho' each item works fine.

You gotta' get the wiring diagram. Before buying haynes or chiltons, go to the public library and check their copies.

You can do it yourself, OR, pay the dealer to do it.

cwb 12-08-2007 07:57 PM

ORIGINAL: myc5

Thanks CG

I am believe it may be the ignition switch, I don't have full voltage at the fuse when the ignition switch is ON. I will be replacing the ignition switch this weekend and will let everyone know how it turns out...
Thanks for the replies
Why you gonna buy a new ignition switch?

C3 Starship 12-08-2007 08:08 PM

Check condition of bat cables, at both ends. Clean if corroded and replace if any breaks show.

myc5 12-10-2007 04:57 AM

ORIGINAL: cwb

ORIGINAL: myc5

Thanks CG

Thanks for the replies
Why you gonna buy a new ignition switch?
JUST THOUGHT I WOULD LET EVERYONE KNOW IT WAS THE IGNITION SWITCH. IT WAS DIFFICULT TO TROUBLESHOOT BUT FINALLY FIGURED IT OUT. I WAS GETTING FULL VOLTAGE AT THE BATTERY BUT ONLY ABOUT 9 VOLTS SHOWING AT THE DASH WHEN I WOULD TURN THE KEY ON. WENT TO THE FUSE BOX ON THE FLOOR BOARD AND CHECKED VOLTAGE THERE AND FUSE 19, I BELIEVE FOR THE STARTER/SWITCH CIRCUIT WAS ONLY SHOWING 9.2 VOLTS WHEN I TURNED THE KEY ON, THUS INDICATING A BAD IGNITION SWITCH. I IMAGINE THE CONTACTS WENT BAD OR SOMETHING IN THE SWITCH ITSELF. PICKED UP A NEW SWITCH AND 2 1/2 HOURS LATER IT WAS FIXED. JUST TO CHANGE THAT SWITCH I HAD TO PULL THE DASH PANEL OFF, THE KNEE BOLSTER PAD, THE CENTER CONSOLE AND THE WATERFALL.... QUITE A CHORE, ESPECIALLY WITH THAT DASH PANEL.
I WOULD BE WILLING TO BET THIS WOULD HAVE COST ME ABOUT $600 AT THE DEALER.
SO IF ANYONE SHOULD HAVE A SIMILAR PROBLEM, KEEP THIS IN MIND.
THANKS FOR THE REPLIES! :D

BTW....THE SERVICE MANUALS I HAVE CAME IN VERY HANDY.

lumpsdady 12-24-2007 11:04 PM

I like you have not been here in a while but if your still having problems respond,and Ill send you some info that helped me. But like I read someone else state that this is a common problem among C5's

myc5 12-28-2007 03:24 AM

Thanks, I did get it figured out. It was the ignition switch and ended up changing it out myself and saving quite a bit of money that way. Bet the dealer would have charged a pretty penny for it, as there was quite a bit of labor involved just getting the switch out.

mech259 12-29-2007 06:14 AM

Ignition switch failure is common in GM products. One way to check in the future is check voltage @ gauges fuse with the key on.