Corvette Forums - Corvette Enthusiast Site

Corvette Forums - Corvette Enthusiast Site (https://www.corvetteforums.com/forum/)
-   Corvette C5 Forum (https://www.corvetteforums.com/forum/corvette-c5-forum-13/)
-   -   New calipers vs painting (https://www.corvetteforums.com/forum/corvette-c5-forum-13/new-calipers-vs-painting-6398/)

CorvetteGirl 06-12-2007 08:18 PM

New calipers vs painting

I have a 98 Corvette andwant to get red calipers on it. My question is, should I get new ZO6 calipers or have the ones currently on the car painted for a fraction of the cost? If I paint would epoxy work? The guy I take it to does epoxy.

hidking 06-12-2007 08:57 PM

RE: New calipers vs painting

i have red ones on my black 99 i want blue ones...

chargedvette02 06-12-2007 09:57 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I have the Z06 ones, I think they look good!

Attachment 2425

hidking 06-12-2007 10:12 PM

ya i have those same ones i want to paint them blue tho

alini 06-12-2007 11:35 PM

Duplicolor makes the Red and Blue kits, check your local Autozone (they carry Duplicolor). Its up to you which way you go. buy a caliper, jack the car up, remove the tire, remove the caliper, install the new one, bleed the brakes, put it back together. Or jack the car, remove the tire, paint the caliper and let it dry for 24 hours (per the instructions) and put it back together.
one is more expensive then the other, I dont think you will get much more performance out of it by swapping calipers, I could be wrong.

Lee Willis 06-13-2007 04:40 AM

If you buy high temperature caliper paint you can paint them and they will look very nice, and, as you say, at a fraction of the cost. The ZO6 calipers will require upgraded everything to ZO6 brakes and that would be expensive -- unless you get the parts used and at a discount, it would make sense if you are going to do that to go ahead and go to an even larger aftermarket brake system since it would not cost that much more.

chargedvette02 06-13-2007 01:47 PM

ORIGINAL: Lee Willis

If you buy high temperature caliper paint you can paint them and they will look very nice, and, as you say, at a fraction of the cost. The ZO6 calipers will require upgraded everything to ZO6 brakes and that would be expensive -- unless you get the parts used and at a discount, it would make sense if you are going to do that to go ahead and go to an even larger aftermarket brake system since it would not cost that much more.
+1 for what Lee said.
In high school I decided to paint my mustang calipers red with high temp paint. It sucked and took a lot of time but in the end they turned out pretty good for a fraction of the price as some of you would say.;)

chargedvette02 06-13-2007 01:49 PM

ORIGINAL: hidking

ya i have those same ones i want to paint them blue tho
Red and black go together man, blue really wont stand out to much with your black car.