Corvette Forums - Corvette Enthusiast Site

Corvette Forums - Corvette Enthusiast Site (https://www.corvetteforums.com/forum/)
-   Corvette C5 Forum (https://www.corvetteforums.com/forum/corvette-c5-forum-13/)
-   -   rack&pinion (https://www.corvetteforums.com/forum/corvette-c5-forum-13/rack-pinion-1487/)

lumpsdady 03-21-2006 06:05 PM

rack&pinion

Can anyone tell me where the best place to get reman. rack&pinion, while I have my 98 tore down I am not crazy about the shape my rack&pinion looks to be in so rather than come back this far miles down the road I'll get it out of the way. Any advice is greatly appriciated.[:o]

mech259 03-22-2006 02:51 AM

RE: rack&pinion

I get most of my racks through Carquest. They have a lifetime warranty. [8D]

Lee Willis 03-22-2006 11:21 AM

I've found just going to a Carquest or, in my case, Advanced Auto often gets good new or rebuilt parts at much lower price than the dealer, and with a lifetime warranty. Our Camaro eats starters (the engine is hard to turn over and the headers cook them) but we buy replacements at about half cost the dealer offers that are just as good. They have a lifetime warranty but I do not return them for a new one free unless I think it was flawed - we go through one about every six months (always carry a spare) and its the car, not the manufacturers fault, so I only return it under warranty if I think it was bad.

mech259 04-03-2006 01:07 AM

Lee, ever tried a gear reduction starter on your Camaro? Have one on my'69 Z with the cam I have in it, I run some pretty advanced timing on a lockdown distributor and the gear reduction handles it well hot or cold. [8D]

corvette king 04-03-2006 05:45 PM

if you have a auto zone or pep boys aroud you they have good priced racks and are lifetime warantee, and have a good return policy.:)

[IMG]local://upfiles/1664/FA4987804D234B69A4A50A3D70DA6F64.jpg[/IMG]

Dave01 04-04-2006 12:40 AM

ORIGINAL: mech259

Lee, ever tried a gear reduction starter on your Camaro? Have one on my'69 Z with the cam I have in it, I run some pretty advanced timing on a lockdown distributor and the gear reduction handles it well hot or cold. [8D]
I used a hi-torque mini starter, along with a heat shield in my 68 and despite LT headers, NEVER had a heat-soak or other problem with the starter. The small size gave it much more space between it and the header pipes.

mech259 04-04-2006 02:47 AM

CK, we stay clear of Autozone because of the "junk" they sell. When I have to warranty my work, I want parts that are quality and their return rate is one of the worst in the business. Just my 2 cents. LOL. [sm=happybounce.gif]

corvette king 04-04-2006 01:26 PM

well hear in florida i have had nothing but good luck with auto zone and yes they do sell junk. but if you ask them they will get the good stuff for you. the parts do cost more money but cheap ant good and good ant cheap.and i have found that auto zone has a great retun policey.they allways take care of me,...i bought a waterpump from carquest and it did not last a year,my be it is just the differant cities and states,.i dont no .and hear in florida there ar not a lot of part shops.now advance auto i will stay clear from and napa, had a starter and alternator go on me from napa with in a year, and you can wipe your ass with there warranty,they will not replace it if the sticker falls off. and as far as i am conserned summit and jegs carry crap to.you no what ,i think what ever you buy today, it is all made over seas and is junk.nothing last for a long time anymore. made in china.mexico. taiwan.indonisia,it is all junk i dont care were you buy it even u.s.a. stuff is junk. i dont no bush has this country messed up good!...LOL:D

mech259 04-04-2006 06:40 PM

The main problem here with Autozone is they have a bunch of PR people behind the counter and not any parts people. PR meaning they like to visit and BS with everyone who comes in and not take care of business. I have to admit that they don't have much in the way of parts people pool around this area as we have lots of problems getting the right stuff all the time and seems to have gotten worse.