Corvette Forums - Corvette Enthusiast Site

Corvette Forums - Corvette Enthusiast Site (https://www.corvetteforums.com/forum/)
-   Corvette C5 Forum (https://www.corvetteforums.com/forum/corvette-c5-forum-13/)
-   -   Run flat tires and handling (https://www.corvetteforums.com/forum/corvette-c5-forum-13/run-flat-tires-handling-4430/)

moscooter 12-22-2006 01:45 PM

Run flat tires and handling

Recently bought a used 2001 convertible. This is my third Vette over the years, so I'm familiar with how they should handle, but this one is acting strange. At speeds of 45 mph or higher, it seems a little squirmy....like it is floating in the back. Just had a front-end alignment and have 30 psi in all tires. The fronts are in good shape, but the rears are worn pretty good.
I suspect the rear tires may be the problem. If you put a straight edge across the rear tread, there is a dip in the center section of about (two quarters) in thickness. I have been advised this may be the handling problem as the rear tires are running on the edges only. All tires are stock size and are Michelin (Zero Pressure) run flats.
I've never had run flat tires before, any thoughts on this. Maybe just new rear tires will solve everything.:eek:

gorichb 12-22-2006 02:55 PM

RE: Run flat tires and handling

Yes
definately toss those rear tires, and get some new ones. They are worn, and the dip in the center of the tire you are talking about is caused from not having the correct air pressure in them.
I would say this is your problem, run flats or not, worn tires can play havoc.

Lee Willis 12-22-2006 04:05 PM

30 lbs? I'm running only 28 in my drag radials, but they are different. On both the front on the 'vette (275 x30 -18), and my Porsche (225s and 285s respectively) , I'm running betwee 35 and 38 lbs. They have a flat tread face and wear evenly at this pressure.Before throwing away the tires, why not add 5 or 10 lbs and see if it pushes the middle out and gets you good handling.

gorichb 12-22-2006 05:18 PM

Since he said the tires were worn pretty good, sounds like he could use a new set anyway.
I keep 38 psi in mine also.
Whether moscooter buys new tiresor tries to get a few more miles from his, Monitor that pressure, and keep those tires wearing evenly.

moscooter 12-22-2006 05:51 PM

Thanks for the replies. Next week, I'm gonna try a new set of rear tires. Probably, the same Michelins that are on it now. I'll let you know if that solves it. Hope so.....[8D]

Dave01 12-23-2006 04:04 AM

I keep my Goodyear GSD3s at 30 psi and they are wearing very evenly. This is what GM recommends for stock sizes and it's been working very well for me.

Dave

gorichb 12-23-2006 01:09 PM

30 psi? WoW
what is the maximum allowed psi for those tires?

Dave01 12-23-2006 09:34 PM

Max pressure in the GSD3s is 51 psi, but really, that is irrevelant when it comes to the pressure that you should keep in your tires. The sticker on the door jam specifies the pressure that is recommended for the vehicle (for the C5, that pressure is 30 psi). Certainly, that pressure may be varied, depending upon ambient temperature, driving environment,and occupent weight. 38 seems kinda high to me.

Take a look at this video. The guy in the C4 accidentally set his tire pressure to 34 psi instead of 30 psi. You can see what happened. I was 4 cars behind him when this happened. Keep in mind that this person knows that road like the back of his hand.

http://www.corvettekillstories.com/p...cs/spinout.wmv

The moaral of this video is DO NOT OVERPRESSURE YOUR TIRES!

Dave

gorichb 12-24-2006 02:13 PM

Wasn't able to see the video...
There are certain times when you need to utilize a max pressure for full load.
I have used my truck for towing for years, and I never ever start on a trip without maxing out the pressure in the tires to the rated pressure on the sidewalls. And I monitor this everytime I stop.
The sticker on the door is good to go by, as long as your tires are still the same as what came with the vehicle.

I take it the guy in the video lost control or spun out? And the tires were only at 34psi?

blueshark 12-24-2006 03:50 PM

I always thought that the tire manufacturers recomendation would be best to follow. regaurdless of what the auto manufacturer says. the tire manufacturer sets the pressure in accordance to the compounds used in the tire and the intended use of it. Also concideration of generated heat affect on the air placed in the tire and ambiant tempareture when filled and temperature of the air at the source would have an effect as well.This is not really as important for daily driveing but the race guys have it to a science. There was a descusion about Nitrogin filling in another post here and air expantion was mentioned. I'm probably wrong like usual but ohwell.

https://www.corvetteforums.com/m_18442/tm.htm verry interesting stuff here.