Corvette Forums - Corvette Enthusiast Site

Corvette Forums - Corvette Enthusiast Site (https://www.corvetteforums.com/forum/)
-   Corvette C6 Forum (https://www.corvetteforums.com/forum/corvette-c6-forum-11/)
-   -   Broken Glove Box Latch (https://www.corvetteforums.com/forum/corvette-c6-forum-11/broken-glove-box-latch-18432/)

dmad1 09-27-2018 10:28 PM

Broken Glove Box Latch

Took my '13 to a dealer with trading in mind and let them evaluate it. Don't know if they did something to break the latch or not but when I put something in the glove box this evening, it would not shut. Planned on taking them up on their offer tomorrow but if I got back with the handing door, I think they will hit me hard with a new evaluation. The handle doesn't operate correctly. Feels sort of loose and stays about half way out. The inside of the box latch does not look like anything is broken. Spring still works in one direction but slowly closing it or slamming it, it does not latch. I did find a small half circular piece of black plastic on the carpet. It is about the size of a small pea. I do not have a short torque wrench that fits inside of the box. Maybe I can buy a small socket with a torque end. Just don't know what size it is and can't get a screw driver type in to check it. It is pretty small compared to a #15 I think. I had to tape the door closed in order to turn off the glove box light. Put the trickle charger on it for the night. I just hate to have to take it in to the dealer. Any idea would be appreciated. :(

73shark 09-28-2018 09:56 PM

Assuming that when you say torque, you mean Torx, you can get a set of Torx that look like Allen wrenches for next to nothing. You might try an allen wrench also because sometimes they will fit.

dmad1 09-28-2018 11:40 PM

73 Shark- Thanks for the help. Managed to get the 2 screws out and found the problem. Makes me wonder why I paid that much money for small plastic parts. When you look at the pin that holds the handle onto the latch mechanism, it is flared on each end to hold it together and lets a lever move the latch. This pin is about 3/16 dia. and holds the small round shoulder on the pin on each side. One of these little round plastic pieces was broken off where the pin goes through it. That let one side of the handle flop around. I Superglued it back but it is so small that I doubt it will hold when the handle is pulled. And for $82 I can get another one from the stealer, just because of a very small piece of plastic that should not have been made of plastic to start with because of the pressure put on it when the handle is pulled. I am sure my description is very cloudy, but if you have to take yours out, you will see what I am talking about. The mechanism and lock is very easy to take out and replace. Definitely not something the shop needs to do. There is a good video on youtube of a guy doing his on a '13. Very good video. :)

73shark 09-29-2018 02:46 PM

You can also try J-B Weld epoxy. I've had very good luck with that on repairing under designed plastic parts.