Corvette Forums - Corvette Enthusiast Site

Corvette Forums - Corvette Enthusiast Site (https://www.corvetteforums.com/forum/)
-   General Tech (https://www.corvetteforums.com/forum/general-tech-9/)
-   -   2000 C5 Electrical Problem (https://www.corvetteforums.com/forum/general-tech-9/2000-c5-electrical-problem-11524/)

wgyouree 06-24-2009 01:56 PM

2000 C5 Electrical Problem

I just bought a used 2000 C5 two days ago and today it started having some strange issues with the blinkers. At one point, the blinkers stopped working altogether, but when I got up to speed they came back on. The left blinker blinks at the normal rate, and the right blinker now blinks twice as fast, like a hyper-blinker.

Also, the cigarette adapter next to the ashtray does not work at all, and the cigarette lighter in the console stays powered whether the car is on or off. I plug an iPod into the console adapter and it stays on unless I unplug the charger. Also, the iPod has a funny "wave" looking effect over the LCD screen when plugged into the car, which goes away when I unplug it. But that's not always there either, it seems to be dependent on the RPMs for some reason, like there's something with the alternator or a relay or something.

So there is definitely something going on with the electrical system. Everything else seems to work fine, headlights, gauges, HUD, locks, windows. The only other thing that doesn't work is the key fob, even with a new battery it works for about a day and then dies again, so I think I may need a new key fob.

Anyone seen anything like this before or have any idea what might be causing these problems?

wgyouree 06-24-2009 02:24 PM

I talked to a mechanic friend of mine who said it could be the following...

hyper-blinker caused by burned out bulb,
console socket is supposed to be on regardless of whether the car is on,
blinker not working but came back when car revved up caused by drained battery caused by me leaving iPod in console socket over night,
dash socket not working possibly due to melted fuse

So, I'm going to look into that, anyone have any other thoughts about it? is the console socket really supposed to stay on even when car is off? I have an Acura with a console socket and it shuts off when the car goes off.

wgyouree 06-26-2009 10:44 AM

Learning so much already :)

The hyper-blinker was just a burned out tail-light bulb, $2.50 at Autozone, part #3057 LL.

The console "accessory" power plug is supposed to be on when the car is off, it mentions this in the manual (RTFM).

The cigarette lighter is probably either unplugged or the fuse is burned out, doesn't matter because I'm going to go with Dennis' Double Din mod and a Kenwood 6140 and so I'll lose the ashtray and cigarette lighter anyway. I have a sneaking suspicion that the dealer swapped the radio because it is unusually beat-up compared to the rest of the car, with scratches and broken buttons, and put the good radio in a C5 with lower mileage. But doesn't matter, because I'm replacing that with the Kenwood.

Everything else is working great, couldn't be happier with this car. I've already got a long list of mods, eventually I'll post pictures and any problems I ran into with each mod for posterity. Now to get some jack stands and do some really fun stuff... it definitely needs a new exhaust...