Corvette Forums - Corvette Enthusiast Site

Corvette Forums - Corvette Enthusiast Site (https://www.corvetteforums.com/forum/)
-   General Tech (https://www.corvetteforums.com/forum/general-tech-9/)
-   -   '89 corvette dieing slowly (Help) (https://www.corvetteforums.com/forum/general-tech-9/89-corvette-dieing-slowly-help-10412/)

TX Mike 11-13-2008 05:45 PM

'89 corvette dieing slowly (Help)

HELP! Car starts and dies shortly afterward, just like it is starving for fuel. New fuel pump, sending unit, & screen has 3,400 miles on it. I had mobile mech. out. He thought it may be the ECM. New ECM and no fix. Bought PROM (brain) with no fix. Mech. said car ran better without MAF sensor plugged in. I believe mech. was trying to check fuel pressure when his gage broke. He took fuel filter out, took gas cap off and tried to blow air thru with small compressor with no result (it may still had pressure on line) but then had me crank car for a couple of seconds with about 1/4 of a quart of gas coming out. One thing is that I did not see a fuse labed FP (fuel pump).Could it be a fuse or a fusible link if car cranks but dies shortly afterwards? If so, where is my fuse located and how do you check fusible link? I am pretty much ready to sell car at this point (love -hate relationship) In last week spent about $225.00 with no fix yet. Not working at present either. I would like to fix it if it doesn't cost much more money and only sell it if I absolutely need the money. Car has 164,000 miles but ran good for the most part since I bought it 2 years ago. I also read somewhere to hook 12 v.to G on the ALCL and I should be able to hear fuel pump come on. If I get mobile mech. out again for the third time I was going to mention that. I don't even know if it an air or fuel problem but it really acts like it is starving for fuel before it dies. Any help is greatly appreciated!!
Thanks!! Mike

TX Mike 12-06-2008 12:37 AM

RE: '89 corvette dieing slowly (Help)

Finally, autozone sold me a bad ECM. Vette back on the road and running. Thanks so much for all your help!!

Mike

TX Mike 12-06-2008 06:18 PM

RE: I spoke to soon

I put new ECM in and it ran good while driving it around for about 30 minutes. The next morning after running it for about 10 minutes it went back to the same problem: When I give it gas it dies!

I believe it got a power surge of some kind to the ECM (probably damaging it again). Any suggestions is appreciated!! Thanks!

MIke

TX Mike 12-07-2008 05:24 AM

RE: not fixed yet

I put new ECM in and it ran good while driving it around for about 30 minutes. The next morning after running it for about 10 minutes it went back to the same problem: When I give it gas it dies!

I believe new ECM gone again. Poor pulse again. Any suggestions is appreciated!! Thanks!

Mike

DeeVeeEight 12-07-2008 08:50 AM

There is a term called GIGO in electronics, it means Garbage in = Garbage out and it refers to the input data being fed to the computer. If you feed your ECM bad information it will spit out bad information, simple as that.

It sounds like your 'Vette has a legitimate problem and it is sending that information to the computer. The computer can not compensate for the problem and the car stops running. You put in a new computer and it has no input data yet so it runs OK for a while, then it starts to get the (problem) data, just like the old ECM and it behaves just like the old ECM. You need to get to the root cause of the bad data being fed to the ECM. This is where a code scanner comes in handy, you plug it in, it tells you what codes came on and you look into fixing the problem(s) related to the code(s). Once you get rid of the bad data the ECM can do it's job and you and your Corvette will be happy.

[sm=icon_cheers.gif]

partsman41 12-07-2008 10:37 AM

Following DV8's train of thought and your information,the Throttle Position Senspr comes to mind. They're fairly easy to check as they're basically a variable resistor.
Hey everybody,if we could all agree to work on this in a single thread it would be much easier! Some one suggest one?
Ron

DeeVeeEight 12-11-2008 05:05 PM

RE: '89 corvette dieing slowly (Help)

[sm=headbang.gif][sm=headbang.gif][sm=headbang.gif][sm=icon_beat.gif][sm=icon_rtfm.gif]

TX Mike 12-21-2008 02:54 PM

RE: running

Thanks everyone for your help. Also, thanks to Jon at FIC for the bosch injectors. So for so good. Car running great.

Mike