Corvette Forums - Corvette Enthusiast Site

Corvette Forums - Corvette Enthusiast Site (https://www.corvetteforums.com/forum/)
-   General Tech (https://www.corvetteforums.com/forum/general-tech-9/)
-   -   C 6 2008 Navigation display clock no Diplay (https://www.corvetteforums.com/forum/general-tech-9/c-6-2008-navigation-display-clock-no-diplay-18570/)

Dale Bruetting 01-14-2019 07:44 AM

C 6 2008 Navigation display clock no Diplay

I am the original owner of a 2008 C6 Corvette convertible. I have exhausted the local dealerships, ONSTAR techs and GM help line with a problem that occurred when the battery drained and was out for a few weeks. The issue is that the Navigation screen does NOT display the time--either GPS or entered. In fact, all the buttons associated with setting the time just "beep" but nothing will trigger a change. This then does not allow the navigation to predict arrival times to set destinations either ONSTAR turn-by-turn or using the NavDisk in the car. Everything else works except that clock.

I have tried all combinations of battery disconnect and reconnect and even yesterday took the Nav unit out of the car to ensure it powered down--all with the same failure.

I was hoping someone in your membership might have come across this and can guide me to a solution to recover it. I'm thinking there is a "hot spot" on the screen that opens a diagnosis/setting screen that I do not know about. I have found the maintenance Diagnosis "hot spot" in the middle of the Nav M
https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...f6b6667265.jpg
enu and located the six digit PIN to open it but it does not have any access to setting the time from another avenue.

Is it possible that a complete repair or reprogramming of the car is available at the dealership that will fix a possible "corrupted time file?" Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

gully 01-14-2019 07:53 PM

I just had the the same thing happen in my 2008 C6 and my battery was drained too. Did you find an answer ?

Originally Posted by Dale Bruetting (Post 75595)
I am the original owner of a 2008 C6 Corvette convertible. I have exhausted the local dealerships, ONSTAR techs and GM help line with a problem that occurred when the battery drained and was out for a few weeks. The issue is that the Navigation screen does NOT display the time--either GPS or entered. In fact, all the buttons associated with setting the time just "beep" but nothing will trigger a change. This then does not allow the navigation to predict arrival times to set destinations either ONSTAR turn-by-turn or using the NavDisk in the car. Everything else works except that clock.

I have tried all combinations of battery disconnect and reconnect and even yesterday took the Nav unit out of the car to ensure it powered down--all with the same failure.

I was hoping someone in your membership might have come across this and can guide me to a solution to recover it. I'm thinking there is a "hot spot" on the screen that opens a diagnosis/setting screen that I do not know about. I have found the maintenance Diagnosis "hot spot" in the middle of the Nav M
https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...f6b6667265.jpg
enu and located the six digit PIN to open it but it does not have any access to setting the time from another avenue.

Is it possible that a complete repair or reprogramming of the car is available at the dealership that will fix a possible "corrupted time file?" Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Dale Bruetting 01-15-2019 07:30 AM

Hey Gully, I thought you were supposed to give ME the answers here!! LOL I have an appointment with the dealer Wednesday to completely reprogram the car like the day it left the factory. If that doesn't fix it, I'm considering a Pioneer AVIC 7201NEX with backup camera and all the latestest info entertainment system goodies. Bad thing is none of these new radios are equipped to connect the 6 disk CD changer that I have on the vehicle--everything is so streaming and downloaded music anymore, c=CD's are as archaic as my old 8 Track player from 1975.

73shark 01-17-2019 10:32 AM

Welcome to the forum, guys. Hope the reprogramming fixes your problem. Be sure to let us know.

Dale Bruetting 01-17-2019 11:46 AM

Dealer and GM were of no help, they think its because of the government shutdown. I've made it my personal quest to get to the bottom of this and have talked to several GPS experts and company developers about just how this could happen.

So after reading and reviewing all the info I can find thus far I have come to this conclusion.
The GPS clock cycle of 19.7 years, that's 1024 weeks and is a ten digit binary code, resets to 0000 weeks at precise intervals. Start date of the first GPS clock was Jan 6, 1980 and the second Roll Over reset was in Aug 1999. WHY mine stopped early since it has only used half of its 1024 week clock life is the mystery. There may be a safety net line of code by DENSO to protect the system if certain power surges or events occur. And the only good news I can get out of all this is that maybe, and that's a BIG MAYBE, this third "GPS Roll Over" event on April 6,2019 may wake mine up again--or not. And I as well as other C 6 owners who have had some fatal event that shutdown their clock may wake up on April 7th with it working again.

FYI in the C7, to prevent any clock issues resulting from a GPS triggered clock stoppage, the clock "Auto Set" is NOT done by GPS. It's accomplished through cellular networks. They apparently get the time signal off some network that GM has a license to use like Verizon, AT&T, etc

Dale Bruetting 01-22-2019 02:32 PM

Gully,
I think I have found the issue. I have talked to some saavy radio repair services in LA and NYC and gotten to a guy who knew exactly what I was talking about. AND IT CANNOT BE FIXED--YET.
My source said, “About 6 weeks ago this started happening on any GM car with that NAV system—C6 Corvette, Cadillac CTS, etc.” He went on to say that he had contacted the engineers at DENSO, who made the product, and that they were aware of the issue but were not currently making an effort to find a fix—and he has a letter from DENSO stating such---the proverbial “smoking gun!”
He said that a lot of people have experienced this issue. And the rest, who as of yet haven't, do not know they will have it until two things occur:
1. The car loses power, i.e. the battery is disconnected
2. Then, when re-powered the GPS countdown clock has already glitched and it will be unable to establish the Year, Month, Day and Week to go any further into displaying the time. It’s a time bomb waiting to happen.
I called GM, explained it to a Customer Infotainment tech services gal, who then went to her supervisor to ask to escalate the issue. She was thrilled with all the information and background research I had already provided. Her supervisor was on board and was going to take it up the ladder to get a resolution.
Whether there is a future fix, a recall and a happy ending in my lifetime is an unknown, but at least I finally got the answer to our issue. You may want to alert your Club members who have this model.

73shark 01-22-2019 05:09 PM

Thanks Dale for the info. Hopefully GM will do the right thing and take care of this problem.

Dale Bruetting 06-27-2019 07:21 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Well finally GM has created a Service Bulletin to address this issue. I'll attach the front page of the Bulletin so we can all see this is not just a Corvette issue.

Bryan May 08-10-2019 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by Dale Bruetting (Post 75607)
Gully,
I think I have found the issue. I have talked to some saavy radio repair services in LA and NYC and gotten to a guy who knew exactly what I was talking about. AND IT CANNOT BE FIXED--YET.
My source said, “About 6 weeks ago this started happening on any GM car with that NAV system—C6 Corvette, Cadillac CTS, etc.” He went on to say that he had contacted the engineers at DENSO, who made the product, and that they were aware of the issue but were not currently making an effort to find a fix—and he has a letter from DENSO stating such---the proverbial “smoking gun!”
He said that a lot of people have experienced this issue. And the rest, who as of yet haven't, do not know they will have it until two things occur:
1. The car loses power, i.e. the battery is disconnected
2. Then, when re-powered the GPS countdown clock has already glitched and it will be unable to establish the Year, Month, Day and Week to go any further into displaying the time. It’s a time bomb waiting to happen.
I called GM, explained it to a Customer Infotainment tech services gal, who then went to her supervisor to ask to escalate the issue. She was thrilled with all the information and background research I had already provided. Her supervisor was on board and was going to take it up the ladder to get a resolution.
Whether there is a future fix, a recall and a happy ending in my lifetime is an unknown, but at least I finally got the answer to our issue. You may want to alert your Club members who have this model.

HI.....Great research.....any updates to report ?? Very frustrating eh.....my 2008 pride and joy does not now seem as complete as it was anymore....hoping for a fix....maybe the fix will be aftermarket head unit.

Craig Lindahl 09-30-2019 10:04 AM

Have the same problem with my 2007 C6