Corvette Forums - Corvette Enthusiast Site

Corvette Forums - Corvette Enthusiast Site (https://www.corvetteforums.com/forum/)
-   General Tech (https://www.corvetteforums.com/forum/general-tech-9/)
-   -   C4 Shocks (https://www.corvetteforums.com/forum/general-tech-9/c4-shocks-15561/)

stevegoetsch 04-10-2013 04:51 PM

C4 Shocks

I have a 96 C4 Base with 60,000 miles on it. This car is my baby and like all of you I buy the best "treats" for it. ( Car guys can't stop tinkering ) My latest is to change out the stock base shocks and install Bilstein Autocross shocks,which are based on Z-51 measurements for shock size, which according to this forum should not be a problem fitting to a base Corvette since there is only a 1/2 inch length difference as long as 17" or larger wheels are used. Strange thing is I ordered from Ecklers and the shocks came from Corvette Brakes labeled Bilstein extreme shocks. But anyways has anyone tried these shocks on a base, I don't have them installed yet but I am wondering how much of a difference to expect. I dont care about a rough ride, I like the performance feel, and I only drive it in the summer on fair weather weekends. I can tell by pushing and pulling on the shock they are VERY stiff.

73shark 04-11-2013 03:46 PM

Since you can push them in and out, I assume that they aren't gas filled.

stevegoetsch 04-12-2013 04:45 AM

I can barely make them push in by putting all my weight on them on the floor, I can't pull them out at all. Thats why I said "very" stiff. Bilsteins only are gas filled.

73shark 04-12-2013 09:56 AM

So when you push them in, they don't come back out on their own?

You might contact Bilstein direct and see what they say.

vettex2 04-16-2013 04:33 AM

Originally Posted by stevegoetsch (Post 69680)
I have a 96 C4 Base with 60,000 miles on it. This car is my baby and like all of you I buy the best "treats" for it. ( Car guys can't stop tinkering ) My latest is to change out the stock base shocks and install Bilstein Autocross shocks,which are based on Z-51 measurements for shock size, which according to this forum should not be a problem fitting to a base Corvette since there is only a 1/2 inch length difference as long as 17" or larger wheels are used. Strange thing is I ordered from Ecklers and the shocks came from Corvette Brakes labeled Bilstein extreme shocks. But anyways has anyone tried these shocks on a base, I don't have them installed yet but I am wondering how much of a difference to expect. I dont care about a rough ride, I like the performance feel, and I only drive it in the summer on fair weather weekends. I can tell by pushing and pulling on the shock they are VERY stiff.

I've never heard of "extreme"
they only have HD and Sport
you want Sports
I have them on both of my vettes and like them
put them on , you'll love 'em

stevegoetsch 04-18-2013 11:38 AM

This is how it went. Ecklers and Corvette South have listed Bilstein "Autocross" shocks for sale. They go into an explanation of how much better lap times are etc. I ordered from Ecklers but the order said allow extra time for these shocks, 3 weeks later the shocks came from "Corvette Brakes" in Florida, labeled "extreme" I am thinking they were re-valved for autocross at Corvette brakes since Ecklers could not ship them directly. When I push down on them it takes all my weight to make them go in, then they slowly come back out which tells me they have very stiff rebounding and dampening etc. but that is what I wanted. My Vette is not a daily car, it is a fair weather weekend toy so I like the performance feel in handling. I don't know if sports have the same same reaction in rebounding, but I do know the stock "base" Shocks rebound and dampen much easier so the extreme shocks should be quite a noticeable difference.:)