Corvette Forums - Corvette Enthusiast Site

Corvette Forums - Corvette Enthusiast Site (https://www.corvetteforums.com/forum/)
-   General Tech (https://www.corvetteforums.com/forum/general-tech-9/)
-   -   C5 tires (https://www.corvetteforums.com/forum/general-tech-9/c5-tires-320/)

chuck 08-12-2005 06:55 PM

C5 tires

:eek:I am about to replace the tires on my 2000 C5 with 28000 miles. Can't stand the noise from the OME Goodyears. Any suggestions on replacements? Any good / bad experances with non-run flats? If I have a flat on the road, with non-run flats , do I have to have a flat bed haul the vette to a garage? If I decide to buy run flats (not Goodyear) what brands are better and quieter.

Patrick 08-15-2005 11:50 AM

RE: C5 tires

if you have AAA, i wouldnt worry about the runflats. I have known a few people, and i believe that several people on here have gone away from the runflats. it really depends on what you want more...so save money on tires, or a flashy namebrand.

Stumbo 08-18-2005 05:16 AM

28k miles is pretty good. Other high performance tires usually get less miles.
Check out tirerack.com. and read the reviews.

I have non-run flats on my Z06 and have AAA. I'm concerned about flats just like you are. What if you can't get reception on your cell phone when you have a flat?
I actually had a tire go flat(slow leak) fortunately is finally went flat in my garage. I'm looking into tire pressure monitors at this time. The Z06 has a 12v air compress and a can of tire goop. I've added a puncture repair kit. I'm looking into an inflatable jack. There are some posts on carrying a 2005 GTO mini-spare. I don't know how much good that would do since your original tire won't fit inside the car.

Most likely you'll stuck in traffic or on the side of the road for awhile if you don't have run-flats. Non-run flats have much stiffer side-walls and don't handle as well. If that doesn't matter, mayber try another brand of run-flats.

Let us know what you decided and how its worked out.

Danase 08-18-2005 10:02 AM

I HIGHLY recommend Avon brand Tires. I run them and from my stock BF's they are soooo much quieter and A LOT grippier. You can buy them at www.tirerack.com . I run the M500's in the Summer and M550' in the winter.

Patrick 08-18-2005 03:08 PM

ive never heard of these Avons, who is their parent company?

DaveWJunior 08-19-2005 05:47 PM

Not sure. But I've been running them on my motorcycles (street) for awhile now and have been very happy with them. Long lasting and decent traction.

Patrick 08-19-2005 07:20 PM

an you provide us with a link to a webpage that sells them, other than tire rack? or do you buy all of your skins on tire rack?

Lee Willis 08-20-2005 05:18 PM

I highly recommend BF Goodrich G-Force. They make several versions that have varying degrees of rain/all season capability (although none will ever be a good winter tire).

I've had these tires on my 02 ZO6 for some time now. They handle better than the original Goodyear F1s did.

I had really bad luck with Pirellis, had a set of very high end ones on a previous (C4) and they wore well, but all four in the set started treat separation at right around 22,000 miles - you could see splits in the sidewall where the belt was starting to slip - sort of weird that all four did it within 1000 miles of one another.

As to the run flat. My ZO6 never had them, instead having the "fit-it'flat kit. But I chucked that and bought a mini-spare and a jack and bolted them to the trunk floor (since I moved the battery to the trunk and put a cover over the wheel where it is now it was easy to do this.

GEORGE 09-06-2005 01:42 AM

I'M NEW HERE BUT HAVE TO SAY KUMO TIRES ARE THE ABSOLUTE BEST FOR THE MONEY.. 712'S WEAR FOREVER AND SQEAL FROM MILD WHEN UNDER MILD FORCE TOO EXTREMELY LOUD. TO THE EDGE OF TRACTION.... IT GIVES YOU A GOOD IDEA WERE YOU ARE IN THE TRACTION RANGE ... AND AN EXELENT TIRE TO LEARN TO DRIVE ON.....I USE THESE FOR MY RAIN TIRES ON TRACK DAYS.......AS FAR AS STREET NOISE? I DONT KNOW I CANT HEAR MYSELF THINK INSIDE MY CAR....

Danase 09-06-2005 10:01 AM

Tire Rack is the only US company selling Avon Tyres as far as I know. They have no parent company as far as I know Avon is Avon.
I ran the Kumho tires once and hated them. They tracked all over and were very hard to control in my opinion. But I know a lot of people like them.