Corvette Forums - Corvette Enthusiast Site

Corvette Forums - Corvette Enthusiast Site (https://www.corvetteforums.com/forum/)
-   New Member Area (https://www.corvetteforums.com/forum/new-member-area-5/)
-   -   big Blockne (https://www.corvetteforums.com/forum/new-member-area-5/big-blockne-2925/)

74bigblock 09-01-2006 08:06 PM

big Blockne

So I am new the this forum, but i wanted to know if anyone here has ever had a problem with over heating a big block. I have a 74 454 big block that i can't seem to keep the engine cool. any ideas on what i can do?

C3 Starship 09-01-2006 08:17 PM

RE: big Blockne

Welcome To CF.
What have you tried so far?
Is this a recent development?
1. thermostat, what temp?
2. hoses
3. waterpump, any leakage?
4. radiator, may need flushing, restricted air flow?
5. does system maintain water level?

Give me some answers, and I'll try to give you some.

corvette king 09-01-2006 09:32 PM

what is done to the enging with mods,what kind of radiator you got,waterpump, what kind of antifreeze you running,what thermostat is in the engine, ...oh ya welcome to the forum, i love big blocks.:D:D:D:D

[IMG]local://upfiles/1664/8A799B0B537945A4A4FD8CC30AF1B2C1.jpg[/IMG]

tinyssnowplows 09-01-2006 10:25 PM

DO YOU HAVE THE AIR DAM UNDER THE RADIATOR? THE RADIATOR GETS COOL AIR FROM THERE,NOT THTOUGH THE GRILL.

mech259 09-01-2006 11:30 PM

Actually, what the air dam does is create a vacuum, much in the same manner an airplane creates lift. The dam diverts air downward and the resulting downward flow creates a vacuum directly behind the dam. A vacuum results in air behind the radiator to be pulled towards the vacuum, hence a better cooling effort. [8D]

mech259 09-01-2006 11:31 PM

OBTW, welcome to the forums. :D

C3 Starship 09-02-2006 02:07 AM

ORIGINAL: mech259

Actually, what the air dam does is create a vacuum, much in the same manner an airplane creates lift. The dam diverts air downward and the resulting downward flow creates a vacuum directly behind the dam. A vacuum results in air behind the radiator to be pulled towards the vacuum, hence a better cooling effort. [8D]
Really? I never thought of it that way, makes sence though!!![sm=interesting.gif]

corvette king 09-02-2006 03:00 AM

ORIGINAL: mech259

no sh*t i never new that,thanks for thet great info makes sence.:D

TopSpeed 09-06-2006 01:44 PM

Welcome to the forums!! Wicked wicked car you've got there, my friend.

Man, I never knew about that vacuum thing either... this forum is more informative than a encyclopedia!!!! :D