Corvette Forums - Corvette Enthusiast Site

Corvette Forums - Corvette Enthusiast Site (https://www.corvetteforums.com/forum/)
-   New Member Area (https://www.corvetteforums.com/forum/new-member-area-5/)
-   -   New Member (https://www.corvetteforums.com/forum/new-member-area-5/new-member-19886/)

thomas77 03-10-2022 03:29 PM

New to this corvette forum, had this early 77 coupe now 21 years,owned a 62 and 70 roadsters before. this car is about 85% restored. still needs body work and paint, it was 350 engine and 350 transmission with 3:08 differential {town Cruiser} It now has a 402 BB with a TH700R much better setup
https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...9b8a50c62b.jpg

kkupec02 03-10-2022 07:36 PM

welcome. very nice

74HARLEY 03-10-2022 08:36 PM

Great car! I loved my '77, I have 2 '73s now. I am planning on building one close to the specs of you car.

thomas77 03-11-2022 01:56 PM

I have all ways liked the C-3s, My oldest brother bought a 1968 roadster new 327 4 speed and i drove to high school on occasion as as a sophomore in 1969 (that raised some eyebrows) My wife bought this 77 corvette for me on our 19 anniversary in 2000 it had 75K miles on it ran well. today it has 92K with only 6K on this engine. One the best things i think i did with car was replacing the body and chassis bushings to polyurethane and LED dash gauge lights + engine and trans. One thing about C-3s that I did not like was the vacuum head lights, they did not move together but they went up and down just fine (after being rebuilt). I wanted to keep the vacuum operation so I built an equalizer bar and linkage (like a sway bar) hooked them together, so now they go up and down together, I like it. interior almost done just need a few trim pieces, (saving up for that) and paint, I like the car, but some things do make it a challenge. This car had a bouncy speedometer when I got it, it got so bad it broke the speedometer needle.the problem was the speedometer cable was backwards in the housing going to the transducer, not pushing against the speedometer causing the cable to go back an forth in the housing. hope to run out of gremlins soon. thoughts and prayers for Ukraine

Northwoods79 03-12-2022 11:31 AM

Welcome to the forum. Great looking ride and holy cow, great modifications to a well deserved generation of corvettes.
the C3 has been the generation that has always been a favorite with me. The later years may have been slowed up by government regulations, they are a great platform to build into something they were intended to be. Keep us updated on any future improvements and enjoy!
Oh and by the way, what a great wife !
I have a wonderful wife that encouraged me to replace my 79 vette after me lost her in a fire.

thomas77 03-13-2022 11:22 AM

Thanks for the welcoms, I have read these forrms from time to time and you all help each other out, thats good to see. I know very few people that have corvettes here around Boise, I see very few older corvettes and that is mostly the fact as you know that old vettes need attention, so if you know how to fiddle with them and have the time or have a good friend thats mechanical thats great. Myself I like being in it than under it. The 62 corvette i built wen I was 18 was fun, bought it missing engine and transmission. So I bought an 1967 396 engine from my brother who bought it from a guy that salvaged from a chevy station wagon that ran off the highway into a river and burned. The engine got so hot it melted the cam bearings out, had it machined and balanced 10:1 pistons and 390 horse 427 camshaft close ratio 4 speed muncie with 3.36 differential, (great party car). only had it for about 3 years, my mother wanted me to sell it because it scared her, and I never gave her a ride in it, The 1970 roadster replaced it and I left it stock 350 300 hp 4 speed blue inside blue outside, very nice car 60K miles. This 2023 C-8 Z06 and Z07 are very impressive, youtube have some videos on this 2023 Z06 its a must see. Im glad to see GM coming out of its shell and build something seriously eye opening about time. when I get tired of crawling around under these old cars I might want to take a look at one of those. I like goose bumps.

QuickNick 03-16-2022 02:22 PM

Welcome! I'm new here also, lots of good info here.
Thats one sweet looking black 77 there! Something about that gen just fits right. You got the power situation covered too, nice!

thomas77 03-19-2022 12:24 PM

Thanks, it does look fairly good indoors, outdoors 50 feet away is best, This is the way it looked 22 years ago, the serial # was in the 4400s early 77 factory alarm was still on the left fender and it had 1976 corvette engine left over from 76 im thinking 180hp, This was built with a budget in mind, low cost (not cheap) have not done a fuel mileage check yet, I set it up for low end torque and power, not much power after 4K. (advanced cam timming) These cars seem to crave attention (not sure its the car or the owners). I did put the 1974 corvette dual 2 1/2" exhaust system 454 ci no cats hooker 2" headers with corvette central special mufflers and I do like the sound, not to loud. side pipes can be ok but they can be ankle burnners. have driven any generation corvette I have not liked.(have not driven C-7 or C-8 yet)

thomas77 03-21-2022 05:49 PM

C-3 Corvette vacuum erratic headlight movement opening and closing. If any C-3 owners with vacuum headlights would like to know an easy way to fix that and make them move together I can post some pictures on how I and you can link them together, DIY fairly easy to do and not very expensive. $60.00 max

carid 03-28-2022 03:21 AM

Hi and welcome to the community! Thanks for joining us. You'll find some interesting info on this forum. If you haven't found what you're looking for, feel free to post a question. If you have knowledge that someone else is looking for, feel free to share!