New Member Area Introduce yourself and your Corvette here.

Trying a different approach

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2018, 09:25 AM
Default Trying a different approach

Just joining this forum, hopefully to get some advice / insight into purchasing a Corvette. I've been a car person my whole life and in 2010 put my 55 Chevy 4 Door back on the road after sitting in various garages for 30 years. I've put about 8K miles on that in the past 8 years. 2 years ago I bought a 79 MG and have been having a blast with it but at a point where do I really want to sink in the money to make it fully reliable and more of a trip car. For both of those cars I joined forums after I owned them and had them on the road.

So I am considering selling both of those cars and getting a relatively modern Corvette Convertible. I will be taking it out for nice rides, maybe even a trip here and there and I'm mostly interested in just cruising around. I have no intention of any sort of racing and the approximately 400 HP of the models I'm considering is way more power than I've ever had as a driver before. I absolutely want a manual, and that will be a must have.

From what I've read it has mostly been an evolution since the introduction of the C5 Corvette. A good friend of mine has a C6 Corvette and was told by his mechanic, that is really into Corvettes, that the C6's were the first generation without the harsh ride of the previous Vettes. He and his wife are very happy with his car so there seems to be some merit to that claim.

Once I've sold the other 2 cars I'll be looking all over the east coast, I do want to drive it back to NJ wherever I get it from.

Thanks for any feedback.

So I'm leaning towards trying to find a C6 or later Corvette Convertible but would consider a C5 on up if the general consensus is for my purposes there isn't much difference.

Last edited by gbullman; 04-16-2018 at 12:04 PM.
Old 04-16-2018, 12:04 PM

I've been doing some more reading and it seems like the C5 Vettes have a few more electrical issues like climate controls, displays as well as the pop up lights.

Hope someone replies to the original post but I'm leaning a bit further towards trying to get a C6.

Thanks,