New Member Area Introduce yourself and your Corvette here.

What to do ????

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2007, 09:30 AM
Default What to do ????

I am looking for advice from anybody who may have had this happen. I bought a new 2005 Corvette in September of 05. Recently (June 07) it was brought to my attention by a guy that does body work, that the right rear quarter panel had been painted by the dealer before I purchased of the car. I dug a little deeper to only to find out that it had been scratched badly enough to need paint. The next day I phoned the dealer and told him what I discoverd and they later called me back to ask me what I was looking for ! I don't feel quite the same about the car as I did when I thought the entire car was original. What should I be looking for from the dealer ?

Old 06-13-2007, 10:22 AM
pg
Default RE: What to do ????

Hi sherwood and welcome to the forum. I used to drive a car carrier (the truck that delivers the cars to the dealers) and you would not believe how many cars that had dings or dents. The dealers just fix the problems and sell the cars as new with no discount. Since you only just discovered your repair I don't thing there is much that you can do at this point. PG

Old 06-13-2007, 01:57 PM

I would agree with PG, I think your SOL.

Old 06-13-2007, 02:35 PM

The dealership is willing to do something for me, the question is "what does one ask for"? I wouldn't be upset if it were a Sunfire or Cobalt but when you pay $72,000 Cd for a Corvette, you expect it to be perfect. I have a 30 year old Trans Am (Smokey and the Bandit) with original paint !

Old 06-13-2007, 02:58 PM
Super Moderator

If it bothers you that much trade it on a new one and get him to allow you more than he would normally. Check the new one out from head to toe before you take possession of it. These type of repaints are relatively easy to find if you know what to look for, tape lines hidden out of view, clear coat over-spray fuzz, deviations in texture, metallic/ pearlcontent,shade differences, etc.
After all 72 G's is a lot of dough and you don't need to except damage from someone else's negligence. Bottom line is it wasn't like that from the factory and it was information that was held from you at the time of delivery. They must remember the car or something.You are lucky that they may be willing to work with you at all. Good luck in your quest for satisfaction. Cheers

Old 06-13-2007, 06:44 PM

Been there, had a Jag with repairs undisclosed by a dealer. In my case, I settled for new tires (about $800) and him paying for the extended warranty (about $3000 retail). The extended warranty covered paint and body stuff through 7 years and 100k miles, and was transferable when I sold the car, making the resale better for me. The tires were just icing on the cake.

bill.

Old 06-13-2007, 06:50 PM

I guess my take is a bit different.I believe what the dealer did was a bit unethical, but it is common andas far as I know, legal.

So, first, I'd admit to myself that I bought the car - okay, they didn't tell me everything but my attitude would be I bear abit of responsibility, and I'll simple accept that and learn - won't happen next time.
Second, I'd remind myself that I could get a new car tomorrow it could get keyed and I'd have to get it repaired and be right back where I am now, with a new car that was repainted, hopefully well. Stuff like this happens, and hopefully it ispainted and "as good as new."
But there would be a difference in the case where it was keyed while I owned it: I'd know exactly what damage had been done to the car, and I'd be able to make sure I had the work done well: with a $72,000 car I'd make certain it was a first class shop and that they spared nothing.
So, I'd ask the dealer to make me "whole" with respect to that, to tell exactly what damage was done to the car (Was it really just a scratch or was a fender torn or gouged?), and exactly what was done (Did they just touch up and clear coat it?. Did they sand down to primer and repaint the whole panel? Did they use any body filler? Did a wheel well tub or any trim or anything else have to be replaced?) Get it in writing. And insist on a promise that the repair will last for the duration of the full new car warranty (or more, ask for ten years and see what they say): so if there is any fading, any durability problems, and they fix it to your satsifaction and provide a car for you to drive while they do -- in writing. I think that is reasonable. In writing.

Old 06-13-2007, 08:10 PM

When I went looking at vettes I went to one garage and they had 2 C5's that some plank had driven into posts around the periphery of the fore court. They had left them still buried in the posts as well. I didn't buy from that dealer.

I'd go with what Lee said in his second paragraph (i.e. find out exactly what damage was caused) to get piece of mind. How did the guy pickup it had been re-sprayed? Did he do the work or is it a bad job? If the later you could request a re-spray, if the former you should thank him for telling you. [:'(]

I suspect the dealer doesn't have any obligation other than keeping his 'good name'. As you will be a valued customer I suspect he will want to make you happy. Maybe he could hook you up for a rolling road before you start all your mods [sm=gears.gif]

Old 06-15-2007, 05:35 PM
cwb

AHEM...

Sherwood was happy when he signed on the dotted line. As long as he keeps the car, and as long as the re-painted section holds color match to the rest of the car, everything is hunky-dory...

BUT, how much re-sale/trade-in value has been affected??? After all, Sherwood NOW KNOWS about the hit, to disclose to the next owner. So he must now be able to get a guarantee of the difference in values.

If the dealer doesn't agree, sherwood should call his band of merry lawyers, and the sheriff of nottingoodmoods.

[sm=exactly.gif][sm=lol.gif]