Corvette Forums - Corvette Enthusiast Site

Corvette Forums - Corvette Enthusiast Site (https://www.corvetteforums.com/forum/)
-   Off Topic (https://www.corvetteforums.com/forum/off-topic-6/)
-   -   Black Box For Your Car (https://www.corvetteforums.com/forum/off-topic-6/black-box-your-car-2765/)

PAY2PLAY 08-21-2006 12:21 PM

Black Box For Your Car

This kind of thing doesn't go over to well with me. How does everybody else feel about this?

Click Here

C3 Starship 08-21-2006 12:51 PM

RE: Black Box For Your Car

I DON'T LIKE IT,..... AT ALL!!![:@] To much involvement in our personal lives!!!
What's next, one in our house?:eek:
I see this as a blatant intrusion on our right to privacy. Step by step, our rights to privacy are being infringed upon. Kinda like a mouse eating away at a cake, one little bite at a time, until "the whole damn cake is gone"!!!
Remember and retain, "The Land Of The Free"!!!;)
I could go into this a lot deeper, but I don't want to get all political.

TopSpeed 08-21-2006 04:47 PM

[:@]I am getting very very angry! I am about to unleash my Illudium Q-36 Explosive Space Modulator!
http://www.gargaro.com/webpages/mad.jpg

What the devil are these guys thinking??? If this crap runs on Microsoft O/S's we're in a boatload of trouble. Even if it doesn't, does any of these idiots ever think for a sec that maybe computer systems can malfunction and report WRONG parameters back up to the main space station??!? I think this is a clear breach of privacy, big time. What's to say that you don't "goose the pedal" to get around an impending disaster, and then come home to find a hefty ticket in your mailbox? I personally can think of 1,000 ways that a system like this can cause more headaches than it fixes... it's all about keeping lawyers at bay.... nice work, auto manufacturers. [:'(]

94blackC4 08-21-2006 06:08 PM

Haha, TopSpeed, you havent got anything to worry about... I think that this is only talking about the US. I might move up there with you though if stuff starts getting out of hand here lol.

TopSpeed 08-21-2006 06:09 PM

ORIGINAL: 94blackC4

Haha, TopSpeed, you havent got anything to worry about... I think that this is only talking about the US. I might move up there with you though if stuff starts getting out of hand here lol.
We've got plenty of room, bro! Pack yer bags an' head on up! :D

06 Vette 08-23-2006 11:07 AM

well for me it's not an issue, I am a woman who don't drive crazy...I mean the fastest I've gone is 80 & that was in a 70 zone LOL. There was a recent article in time mag bout 2 teen boys convicted via the black box in a vette. The vette & mercedes were racing both ran into a jeep killing 2 occupants they said they were going 60, the black box in the vette indicated they were going 130 or something like that. Once confronted with the evidence they pleaded which right there showed me the computer wasn't lying. Another case a guy was exonerated(sp?) witnesses said he was doing 90, the black box indicated he was doing 60 at the time of impact. I welcome it for accident info, my problem tho would be with tickets being issued or insurance companies having access to the info without an accident.

C3 Starship 08-23-2006 11:56 AM

Accident investiaters have a good handle on determing the speed at time of impact. They have done extensive studies, over the past 5 decades, at crash scenes and impact tests done at test facilities. They can tell by the extent of damage what was going on at the time of impact.
This "Black Box" issue is part of what I call the "Santa Clause Syndrome". You better watch out........, he's makin' a list an' checkin' it twice, gonna find out who's naughty or nice!
People are people, speeders are going to speed, thieves are going to steal, Killers are going to kill. To stop all of this, you'd have to lock every one up in an individual cell and never let them interact with anyone else. But, now.... we have the jailer. Can he be trusted!!!:eek:
How about this, ban all cars that go over 15mph, the speed limit in a school zone? Oh, I'm sure our Vette buds would love this!!! (and how about you???)
I DON'T THINK SO!!!

C3 Starship 08-23-2006 12:06 PM

ORIGINAL: 06 Vette

well for me it's not an issue, I am a woman who don't drive crazy...I mean the fastest I've gone is 80 & that was in a 70 zone LOL..... my problem tho would be with tickets being issued or insurance companies having access to the info without an accident.
SORRY, YOUR BUSTED!!! Bailiff, lock 'er up!!!

06 Vette 08-23-2006 06:03 PM

Ok AND exactly what is your point Starship? If you really read my post you would see that I TOO disagree with them using it outside of gathering accident info. I was stating info I had read in a magazine, yes they have done studies for years but they still have to investigate each & every accident to figure all of it out, would it be so bad to have that info right there so as not to waste all that time investigating? IN ADDITION, this post was asking opinions AND I gave my opinion, just because you didn't personally like my opinion doesn't mean that it's not as important as yours.

C3 Starship 08-23-2006 06:56 PM

Uh-oh, now I've offended some one.[:o]
My point is, O. K. it tells the speed at time of impact. There's still alot of time and info involved in making a complete composit of the situation. If "they" have the technology, "they" are going to use it. You "will" get that ticket for doing 80 and it "will" be reported to your insurance company. ( the insuance industry reeeaaallllly wants this thing and will lobby hard to get it, to use at will) So, I'm against the whole thing. That's all!;)
So,......Who wound your clock so tight!!!
I didn't say anything about your not having the right to your opinion, or that my opinion was more important. You know, opinions are like #$% #$%^s, every body has one, and some are bigger than others. Sheeesh,...... lighten up!!!:eek:

Thanks, pay2play. This is kinda fun, GREAT topic for discussion.;)