Corvette Forums - Corvette Enthusiast Site

Corvette Forums - Corvette Enthusiast Site (https://www.corvetteforums.com/forum/)
-   Off Topic (https://www.corvetteforums.com/forum/off-topic-6/)
-   -   close call (https://www.corvetteforums.com/forum/off-topic-6/close-call-3204/)

06 vette girl 09-20-2006 08:37 PM

close call

ok I'm cruising up the interstate...staying within 10 miles of the speed limit, this ford focus kept passing me along the way so I just stayed behind him. The focus & I were probably doing the same speed, the next thing ya kno a trooper gets right up next to me & slows down staying beside me with these flashing yellow lights in his rear window so I slowed down, he passed me & got behind the focus who didn't slow down but continued to go around another car, that's when the troopers top lights came on & over they pulled. Just goes to show the sports car isn't always the one getting pulled over when 2 are doing the same speed. I personally think cuz I was curteous & slowed down, he went on past me & he probably would have passed the focus by too had he just slowed down. That trooper made my day hehe!

PAY2PLAY 09-20-2006 08:42 PM

RE: close call

Whew, that was a close call. I had a pretty close one a few weeks ago on I-95. It was a black SUV behind me doing about the same speed I was and he got pulled over.

TopSpeed 09-20-2006 08:47 PM

Oooof.... wow, I am glad to hear that you weren't profiled because of the Vette guys.... I have gone through a few traps recently where you could visibly see the officer was unhappy that I wasn't breaking the law, like he just wanted an excuse to nail me. My wife was even in the car once and noticed it too....

gorichb 09-20-2006 11:06 PM

I was driving through town a few days ago with the wife, we were going the speed limit, 35, when a cop got behind me, and stayed on my rear end, I MEAN really on it. Followed me for 2 miles or so before he swung around the side of me, hung there for a minute, and than took off. BUT not before we gave hime a friendly little wave, we had the top down so i know he seen us.
What an A$$ that cop was. What the hell did he think I was going to do, start speeding??

blueshark 09-21-2006 03:12 AM

one time in my '77 280Z I was the last in a line of six cars cruzin' at about 85 on I-4 in Orlando and the dang fuzz yanked us all at once. cost me 275.00 beans. That trooper got lots of browny points that day. He sure was a good driver though kept us all in line at 85.

C3 Starship 09-21-2006 03:27 AM

Ya, there are some "Smokeys" that know their stuff. It sure took them along time to get around to spinnin' cars out to make an arrest though. I learned that move my first month of stock car racin'. If people only knew, when they mess with me on the highway, that I can take them out and not even loose my place in line. I know a lot of "Good Ol' Boys" that can hang you out to dry and not get wet.

CORVETTE LADY 09-22-2006 11:37 AM

Speaking of brownie points. I'm sure that I helped one get all he needed for the year. It was several years back, and it was race week in Darlington, S. C. The Southern 500 use to be the hottest event in this area. Had my mother in the vette and we were heading down to our beach house. Just cruising along minding our own business. Almost into Darlington, cop was sitting in the middle of the road. I drove on past, and all of a sudden he swings out. Turns on the blue lights, told my mother, "he's not looking for me". Just a ways further, she said I think he wants YOU to stop. Looked down and I was doing 2 miles over the speed limit. Oh, I also need to tell you that never in my life have I gotten a ticket. He comes strolling up to the car, and says"lady you were over the speed limit". I ask exactly how much over. With a straight face he states two miles over. He goes back to his car, and I almost fell dead when I saw my ticket, $100. I ask how can this be, he said "anything over the limit is speeding, and also in the proximity of a school. Ask him where to pay the fine, and we were insight of the magistrate's office. This is the honest truth. When I walked in they had about 100 tickets already on his desk. Oh, he did reduce it to $50.00 by me showing up. So his man on the street was stacking em up. The kicker of this story is that this was on a Monday morning. Came back home at the end of the week and hubby and I were in the traffic Sunday morning going to the race. At the exact spot when I was stopped doing 37 miles an hour, we were flowing with the traffic at 73 miles an hour. Had I been making 73 in the vette on Monday, I'm sure I would still be under the jail in Darlington. Bottom line, I'm sure they made lots of money from fines for their town during race week.

[IMG]local://upfiles/2989/73A198F6E36943459A4BBEADC9BD1202.jpg[/IMG]

TopSpeed 09-22-2006 02:20 PM

ORIGINAL: CORVETTE LADY

Speaking of brownie points. I'm sure that I helped one get all he needed for the year. It was several years back, and it was race week in Darlington, S. C. The Southern 500 use to be the hottest event in this area. Had my mother in the vette and we were heading down to our beach house. Just cruising along minding our own business. Almost into Darlington, cop was sitting in the middle of the road. I drove on past, and all of a sudden he swings out. Turns on the blue lights, told my mother, "he's not looking for me". Just a ways further, she said I think he wants YOU to stop. Looked down and I was doing 2 miles over the speed limit. Oh, I also need to tell you that never in my life have I gotten a ticket. He comes strolling up to the car, and says"lady you were over the speed limit". I ask exactly how much over. With a straight face he states two miles over. He goes back to his car, and I almost fell dead when I saw my ticket, $100. I ask how can this be, he said "anything over the limit is speeding, and also in the proximity of a school. Ask him where to pay the fine, and we were insight of the magistrate's office. This is the honest truth. When I walked in they had about 100 tickets already on his desk. Oh, he did reduce it to $50.00 by me showing up. So his man on the street was stacking em up. The kicker of this story is that this was on a Monday morning. Came back home at the end of the week and hubby and I were in the traffic Sunday morning going to the race. At the exact spot when I was stopped doing 37 miles an hour, we were flowing with the traffic at 73 miles an hour. Had I been making 73 in the vette on Monday, I'm sure I would still be under the jail in Darlington. Bottom line, I'm sure they made lots of money from fines for their town during race week.

[IMG]local://upfiles/2989/73A198F6E36943459A4BBEADC9BD1202.jpg[/IMG]
What an interesting story! Thanks for taking the time to share that! :)

gorichb 09-22-2006 02:38 PM

Just wondering...
Had a buddy of mine get caught for speeding on one of the highways in Southern Ca. He said no one was on the highway, and decided to push the speedometer a little bit. Well he ended up getting pulled over, and clocked at 112 mph.

He said it is now a felony if you are caught speeding, and doing anything over 99mph. He's got himself in a mess, huge fine, court dates, and restricted license, not to mention they towed his Vette, and he had to pay impound fees.
He swears he was just speeding, No abrupt lane changes, and he was damn near the only one on the highway.

Has anyone else heard about this? Man what a royal pain in the A$$ if this is true. Talk about ruining your day.