Corvette Forums - Corvette Enthusiast Site

Corvette Forums - Corvette Enthusiast Site (https://www.corvetteforums.com/forum/)
-   Off Topic (https://www.corvetteforums.com/forum/off-topic-6/)
-   -   Concealed Carry Gun Selection (https://www.corvetteforums.com/forum/off-topic-6/concealed-carry-gun-selection-10152/)

93c4matt 09-18-2008 12:08 PM

Concealed Carry Gun Selection

Okay. So I know Im only 19 years old. But I really want to go ahead and get a general idea of what pistol is considered by my esteemed colleagues here on the forums as the best selection. I have pretty good experiences with Colt. Only problem is, its kinda hardly to properly conceal a Colt 1911 or my Colt Commander (.45 and 9mil respectively). Ihave heard, researched, and even witnessed the toughness of the Glock products firsthand. Im basically looking for a concealer with enough umphh to get the job done while maintaining a low key presence. Any ideas?

Lee Willis 09-18-2008 01:50 PM

RE: Concealed Carry Gun Selection

A Walther 9mm PPS?

C3 Starship 09-19-2008 07:46 AM

Something to ponder,.....
Here in Nevada, we can 'open carry'. If I were to get a conceled carry permit, I would not beallowedto 'open carry'. I would be in violation of Fed law.

Now, as to what to carry,....
I reccomend a Sig P220 in 45 cal or S&W M&P in 9mm, 40, or 45.
I don't care for the 9mm my self. You want stopping power, go to a 40 or 45. The local police are giving up their 9s and going to 40s or 45s. A 9 just doesn't have the stopping power they need.

Personally, I carry a S&W Mod 29 357 revolver.

Lee Willis 09-19-2008 09:51 PM

I agree. A nine doesn't have the power. But the Walther PPS is slim and easy to conceal. It is better than a .32 or similar, but no the power of a 45, for sure.

C3 Starship 09-23-2008 06:09 PM

:DA 32 or smaller is just going to 'P' them off. :D

I want to tear a hole, a BIG hole. Prob solved. ;)

Wedge 09-24-2008 11:57 AM

Now don't take this wrong... but why are you so concerned at 19 to have a carry permit? Because you can? I don't leave my backdoor into my woods without a gun... but that's because I live in Montana and there is stuff in the woods that will eat you. That is why I carry a 40 S&W... in the woods... but when I head to town, the gun stays at the house. Like Dave, I can walk around town with a hogleg on my hip... but I have never thought I needed it. You might be in a different situation where you live... or be in college, where some people are carrying these days... but personally, a concealed weapon in the hands of an untrained person really scares me. Sorry if this offends, but it is a forum. Now if the question was 'what concealed pistol fits under the seat of a 73 LS4 T-Top' I might of had a different opinion...
[align=left] [/align]

Lee Willis 09-24-2008 06:07 PM

I'd own a gun and when I go up to the family cabin the Rockies (where there are things that will eat you) I borrow a gun or two from a reliative and "don't leave home without it.

But I don't own a gun and would not have one in the house: I live in the suburbs of a nice metro area, nothing I will find in my backyard will eat me, and I have a wife with a mean temper!

C3 Starship 09-24-2008 06:37 PM

Another thought,....
If you are going to carry, concealed or in the open, be prepared to use 'deadly force'. Think about it, seriously, are you prepared to kill another human being? I'd guess that over 50% of the people that carry, aren't. If you're not ready, forget the whole thing.
Like Wedge, I carry when I'm not at the top of the food chain. In the deep woods, where people seldom go, I pack a S&W 44 mag. wheel gun and 4 full speed loaders.A 357 will stop a cat, but the 44 HP will stop a bear. ( If in trouble, I may need to signal for help or feed myself. That's why I carry so many loads. You can fish with a 44 too.;) )
I never carry in town, no need to. I don't go where I feel it would be necessary to pack heat. Of course, you never know, but I feel the odds are in my favor if I just keep to myself, so to speak. I know where the trouble areas are around here, and I won't go asking for trouble.

Lee Willis 09-25-2008 04:39 PM

You're right about the fishing. I remember my dad getting a northern pike with a handgun when I was about five years old. After a day of catchin just small stuff and it getting on toward dusk, he asked me to be quiet and just waited right at the side of the boat watching, then fired his 357 (I think it was) with thebarrel onlyabout a foot and a half above the water and damn, within about fifteen minutes and maybe four shots, he killed a big one.We had fish cooked over a campfire for dinnerthat night, after all.

C3 Starship 09-25-2008 06:14 PM

:DAll ya have to do is get close, the concusion knocks them out and they float to the top. Kinda like fishing with dynamite. :D