Corvette Forums - Corvette Enthusiast Site

Corvette Forums - Corvette Enthusiast Site (https://www.corvetteforums.com/forum/)
-   Off Topic (https://www.corvetteforums.com/forum/off-topic-6/)
-   -   Cost of Gas (https://www.corvetteforums.com/forum/off-topic-6/cost-gas-10411/)

DeeVeeEight 11-13-2008 04:20 PM

Cost of Gas

OK - Gas prices are HALF of what they were a year ago. You can not tell me that this is strictly due to supply and demand. We are getting screwed royally by the powers that be. Are you driving HALF as much as you used to? Does the company you work for use less fuel now than a year ago? WTF?

[sm=icon_cheers.gif]

C3 Starship 11-14-2008 09:57 AM

RE: Cost of Gas

You have me, to thank for the lower prices. ;)
All by my onesies, I have reduced the national and world fuel demand by riding my Sportster to work. :)
Now, don't y'all feel better? :eek:

....but, beware! The giant 'screw' is getting ready tocome afterus again.
The United States of Taxation. [&o]

watwheel 11-14-2008 02:06 PM

LET'S SEE...........WHAT BUSINESS IS GEORGE W. IN?

Lee Willis 11-14-2008 06:15 PM

Guys, gasoline is one of the most inelastic commodities there is, something known since the gasoline crisis of the 70s, when a supply gap only about 5% less than demand led to nearly infinate prices (some people would pay $20 a gallon if they had to).

Inevitably, gasoline prices will rise. I expect ten years from now, we will consider $5 gasoline a fond memory, as we pay $7 or $8. There are ahalf billion families in India and China who yearn to own a car, even if it is just a Tata Nano. Those economies are booming, they will buy them and want gasoline, and it's not like we can deny them: we drive 6000 pound 400 HP Tahoos while they drive 2000 lb 36HP Nanos but so many of them on the road in those countries will double the demand and skyrocket the price of gasoline worldwide.

We'll be driving Nanos, too, maybe.

78buckshot 11-15-2008 03:57 AM

The majority of us on this site are "Baby Boomers" with automobiles in our blood. The kids around now and future folks won't have the same love affair and the auto will become less intimate for them. The world car is here, not that I like it, but we can't stop it. Someone will fill the need for transportation.

pg 11-15-2008 03:59 AM

An inelastic commodity or not, the bottom line is that the arabs are shipping more oil to the orient therefore the short fall in shipping to the US is being made up in what they ship there over there, need proof, look at the revenues of the 2 major tank shippers. There fleets as runing at 100% but they are running at only 5% of full capacity. PG.

C3 Starship 11-17-2008 01:26 AM

ORIGINAL: 78buckshot

The majority of us on this site are "Baby Boomers" with automobiles in our blood. The kids around now and future folks won't have the same love affair and the auto will become less intimate for them. The world car is here, not that I like it, but we can't stop it. Someone will fill the need for transportation.
[sm=exactly.gif]
We have some 'ZAP' cars running around here. I have to admit, it is the wave of the future. Our gas guzzling dinosaurs, will be things of curiosity, even the butt of cruel jokes,.....
'Can you imagine, :Dhaving to feed that thing fuel, before you even got near to 500 miles. :D[sm=icon_rofl.gif]:D'

No matter, I'llburn upthose hydro carbons, just as long as I possibly can. I'm sorry, but a BB Chevy, backed up with a 'Rock Crusher', is the only way to fly. I'm 'old school' and set in my ways. Keep the navigation toy, and give me a 5 point harness. ;)

BTW, I bought gas in Portland, Oregon,at 2.06 for reg. Here in Reno, 2.35. Nice little break from 4.08, but alas, we all know this price drop will be short lived. [&o]

78buckshot 11-17-2008 03:39 AM

Dave, sure is funny how the price is so volatile. I filled up here yesterday for $1.79 and two months ago it was $4.79. I hate how us "SURFS" have such little control over it all but I still would not choose to live in any other country. Hopefully someday we can get back to "For the People, By the People", untill then I'll keep faith. With a little help from God, we will survive. Good to here from you, Ya'll come back now, hear?

C3 Starship 11-17-2008 10:12 AM

I was gone for the last 9 days. I did mangae to check in a few times.
We had planned a trip to see my daughter and G-daughter, but alas, she had things going with school that didn't allow any time off. So,......
We went up to Portland Oregon to visit some life long friends.
I thought it was rather interesting, that the further North we went, the lower the prices got. Kinda seemed, that if I went all the way to Alaska, gas would be free. [&:]