Corvette Forums - Corvette Enthusiast Site

Corvette Forums - Corvette Enthusiast Site (https://www.corvetteforums.com/forum/)
-   Off Topic (https://www.corvetteforums.com/forum/off-topic-6/)
-   -   Okay, anyone like Telescopes? (https://www.corvetteforums.com/forum/off-topic-6/okay-anyone-like-telescopes-5330/)

Lee Willis 03-19-2007 11:37 PM

Okay, anyone like Telescopes?

Since we are asking about other hobbies etc., anyone here like Telescopes and astronomy? I've always liked stargazing and had a couple of mid-size scopes over the years, the type that ended up in the back of the garage gathering dust -- I think I like the telescopes and all the engineering as much as the stargazing (although that depends on the quality and quantity of wine we are drinking as we watch the stars).

Anyway, my wife got me a Meade LX90 12" Schmidt-Cassagrain for my birthday last month. Wow, what an gigantic thing. My son mounted it on this big rollout cart that sits in the garage and I can roll out into the driveway in about a minute. Thetelescope is the size of a small trash can, and itis seven feet tall on its tripod but the cart rolls easily with it.. The 'scope is all computerizedso its finds the planets and galaxies by itself, which is just like magic. And I am having a ball with it. I was looking at Saturn last night and could see the shadow of the rings across the various bands of clouds on the planet itself. Very cool.

Its not quite as nice as a 'vette, but pretty close (well, not really, but it's still neat).

chargedvette02 03-20-2007 12:10 AM

RE: Okay, anyone like Telescopes?

Sounds neat.

C3 Starship 03-20-2007 01:18 AM

That's too cool Lee!!! :)
I've always been a stargazer. I took astronomy in college in connection with getting my A.S. degree in geology. We had 'puterized telescopes that would track with the movement of the stars, I know it was the earth that was moving, but that's how most people relate to it. I watch the science channel all the time, and I just eat that stuff up! ;)I have a telescope that I use from time to time, but I want a "Hubble" for my very own!!! :D

PAY2PLAY 03-20-2007 02:34 AM

I have always been into astrology and was recently watching a special on the planets, but have never owned a telescope. After reading this thread I may have to go out and buy one now.

C3 Starship 03-20-2007 10:05 AM

So Lee,......
can ya connect a camera to your telescope?
We used to take pics when I was in college. I might be able to find an adaptor for mine, but I really haven't looked.

TopSpeed 03-20-2007 02:24 PM

Man, how cool is that? We have been talking lately of getting one! I didn't know that they could be so technical and all... are they expensive?

Lee Willis 03-20-2007 08:49 PM

It's like anything else, you can spend a furtune or very little on a 'scope. Meade sells "amateur" scopes up to $28,000, mine cost about $2800 best price on the Internet. There are good scopes at telescopes.net and telescopes.com from about $150 on up, really nice ones around $300 or so. My wife give me this big one just to spoil me.

TopSpeed 03-21-2007 02:11 PM

Thanks for the info, Lee! I am guessing only the more expensive ones do that "automatic tracking" feature you guys were talking about? $300-$500 sounds great for a price range for us; I'll definately check those sites out later when the time comes... thanks, Lee!