Corvette Forums - Corvette Enthusiast Site

Corvette Forums - Corvette Enthusiast Site (https://www.corvetteforums.com/forum/)
-   Off Topic (https://www.corvetteforums.com/forum/off-topic-6/)
-   -   What do you consider is a "fast" car. (https://www.corvetteforums.com/forum/off-topic-6/what-do-you-consider-%22fast%22-car-10525/)

Lee Willis 12-16-2008 07:03 PM

What do you consider is a "fast" car.

I was reading another post on another part of this forum and wondered, "What is a fast car?"

That got me to thinking that "fast" probably means different things to different people.

When I was in high school (mid 60s) I considered that 0-60 in less than 7 seconds and the quarter mile at over 95 and under 15 seconds was fast, and pretty consistently then and since , I've considered that the fastest standard Mustang V8 model defined the border between "not fast" and "fast." (The solid lifter 27 HP '65 Mustang could do about 7.5 to 60 and about 90 at 15 inthe quarter - something like that just barely "not fast."

Today, I still look at the Mustang GT (now 315 HP) as "not quite fast" - 60 in 5.5 or so and the quarter at 13.5 at around 105. Yeah, I know, but there are family sedans (not sports sedans) that doin the low 14s, so . .

But I'm curious what others think. What is a fast car and what isn't.?

I'm curious

partsman41 12-16-2008 08:26 PM

RE: What do you consider is a "fast" car.

My dream has been a 9 sec.(in the 1/4) street machine. THAT IS FAST! For a street machine but a real slug in Pro Stock.
I don't remember(if I ever knew) what the 1/4 mile time on the 09 ZR1 is but even if it's over 9 sec that sucker is FAST! Any street legal machine that will do over 200mph is seriously fast!

C3 Starship 12-17-2008 07:52 AM

I had a 525 hp '70 SS 454 Chevelle, 'Heavy Chevy'. Topped out at 119, but would get there real quick.

I also had a 475 hp'70 Road Runner w/ 440 6-pac that would top out above 150 mph.
That, was a fast car. ;)

Both preformed very well in the 1/4.
I guess I would have to say that the Chevelle was quick, but the Road Runner was fast.

Lee Willis 12-17-2008 04:10 PM

I think the ZR1 does high to mid11s in the quarter. My 'vette would do low tens on street tires (drag radials) and was definately fast.
Nine seconds is fast-fast on the street (the Camaro can do it but while licensed is not really that driveable, but I've seen one or two licensed high eight cars on the street this last summer extremely nasty (and hard to drive I've guess, given that the Camaro is a pain in the butt at just nines.
But I was thinking of just normal, daily driveable cars.

Wedge 12-17-2008 05:38 PM

Mine...:D Well, its fast enough to keep your butt in the seat. Love that 80 to 120 acceleration... usually before Im done passing the victim... but alas... 2 feet of snow on the ground, those days are gone till May. Happy Holidays to all...
[align=left] [/align]

blueshark 12-26-2008 01:16 AM

Well Quick and Fast are differemt to me. I would concider a street car that could do 10 seconds or less in the quarterQuick and one that would have a top end greater than say 150mph fast. Some may be both.....all the better.

Cheers.

Lee Willis 12-26-2008 03:20 PM

Good. The whole point of this questionw as to see what people think the word means. Me - I always thought of "quick" as describing the car's handling and ability to respond well right-now!: my Porsche was quick, but not quite fast.

C3 Starship 12-28-2008 03:40 PM

'Good. The whole point of this question was to see what people think the word means.'

So Lee, does that mean that we all get a, :),on our test? :D

...Man, these 'Vette School' quizescan be tough at times. :eek:

andrew65 01-03-2009 02:30 AM

fast car is one....in which you feel d energy waves passing through your body