Corvette Forums - Corvette Enthusiast Site

Corvette Forums - Corvette Enthusiast Site (https://www.corvetteforums.com/forum/)
-   Off Topic (https://www.corvetteforums.com/forum/off-topic-6/)
-   -   Where 'dit come from? (https://www.corvetteforums.com/forum/off-topic-6/where-dit-come-3577/)

C3 Starship 10-17-2006 08:13 PM

Where 'dit come from?

We know that C2, for example, designates the 2nd body style.
Who, what, when, where, why, and how did the "C" come about?
Someone recently asked me, but all I could tell them was about the number.
"C"-orvette, 2nd body style?

The Chevy trucks too!
C 10...1/2 ton
C 20...3/4 ton
C 30...1 ton

Jus' wundrin!:)

gorichb 10-17-2006 09:39 PM

RE: Where 'dit come from?

Maybe you should have made this a Poll. Would have been interesting to choose.
Naturally the first thing that comes to mind would be "C"hevy or "C"orvette, but what about

"C"lass

"C"lass 1
"C"lass 2, etc.

"C"lass 10
"C"lass 20, etc.

This would be my guess, we just need some documented proof now.

Kobegotskillz 10-18-2006 12:33 AM

First person to tell me "congrats on your C3" had me wondering what that meant. I finally came up with the following:

1. Chevy
2. Corvette
3. Convertible

:D:D You guys have already taught me a lot!

94blackC4 10-18-2006 01:14 AM

Definately not Convertible. BUT - If anyone ever asks me, I dont like to look stupid so I tell them it means Corvette lol. I just figured thats probably what it means anyway because most other chevy vehicles have different names that go with them. Like the S10 Sierra... I assumed S -Sierra... I cant think of anymore examples right now but its late lol.

Matt

chargedvette02 10-18-2006 09:46 AM

Did a google search and the definition that came up the most for C5 corvette was class 5 Corvette so gorichb looks to be right if you go by google search results lol.:D

Everyone that has ever asked me what C5 ment I told them it ment the 5th gen corvette lol looks like I was wrong.

gorichb 10-18-2006 11:20 AM

I always thought the C stood for "generation" also, LOL :D. I mean that sounds pretty good to me. But maybe they thought G1, G2, G3, etc just didn't sound right.
Think it could be one of GM's little secrets :eek::D:eek:

C3 Starship 10-18-2006 01:27 PM

ORIGINAL: gorichb

I always thought the C stood for "generation" also, LOL :D. I mean that sounds pretty good to me. But maybe they thought G1, G2, G3, etc just didn't sound right.
"G's". are a government designation as to employment level.
G-1, G-2, and so on. The higher the "G" rating, the higher the pay.:)

Kobegotskillz 10-18-2006 08:32 PM

ORIGINAL: C3 Starship

ORIGINAL: gorichb

"G's". are a government designation as to employment level.
G-1, G-2, and so on. The higher the "G" rating, the higher the pay.:)

Correct. GS-1 is bottom of the totem pole. GS-12 is great, but then you get up to the GM-13 -- Management level and they start being equivalent to general officers.

Lee Willis 10-18-2006 10:44 PM

I always thought "C stood for "corvette", just as when people talk about a "Cam2" they are talking about a second generation Camaro - had to use more letters because "C" was taken by its big brother.

pg 10-18-2006 11:25 PM

Hi everyone, heres the way I heard it, in March of 1983 Road & Track trumpeted the arrival of the "new 5th generation Corvette". When questioned about it the Chevrolet officials said Yes the new model would be the "C5- the 5 of course for 5 generations. Seems like the1953-thru62 than became C-1's, than the 63-thru67's became C2's, than 68-thru82 became C-3's. and so on untill the C-5 did come out in 1997. So does that explain what the "C" stands for? It was probably Zora's code if someone asked What is project C in the skunkworks.PG