Corvette Forums - Corvette Enthusiast Site

Corvette Forums - Corvette Enthusiast Site (https://www.corvetteforums.com/forum/)
-   Off Topic (https://www.corvetteforums.com/forum/off-topic-6/)
-   -   Working out... (https://www.corvetteforums.com/forum/off-topic-6/working-out-4860/)

BluBeaSSt 01-23-2007 10:18 PM

Working out...

Who all works out here? I used to hardcore back in Highschool....but i got lazy and pressed for time and just wore out from working all day. But after i went into the Hospital back in Nov, they put me on pretnazone (sp) and i gained 50 lbs within a month! So again ive started to work out and run like i did when i was younger. But im finding it harder to get rid of the gut that i now have, i got all my arms and legs back defined still got a gut [:o]. So i now run and run and run, thinkin about getting back on Creatine...but my doctor said thats a bad idea and i should wait about a year for my GI system to completly recover. So what do you all do?

C3 Starship 01-24-2007 12:48 AM

RE: Working out...

With the "Starship" down for the winter, I still try to keep in shape.
I sit in my chair and use isotonic movements......holding my left hand at 12, and my right hand at my right knee, I repeat again and again, "left foot up, right foot down. Left foot up, right foot down...........":D

blueshark 01-24-2007 01:26 AM

Just make sure you move the bag of cheeze puffs from leg to leg or your gonna get lopsided. LOL

PAY2PLAY 01-24-2007 09:16 AM

I'm in the gym about 5 to 6 days a week lifting weights and have been for the past 3 months now. Aside from all the running you are doing, how is your diet? Because that plays a major role in your ability to lose weight. I recommend you get a subscription to Men's Health, you will learn everything you need to know about weight lose in the pages of that magazine.

CORVETTE LADY 01-24-2007 11:33 AM

[sm=hiya.gif]ME, ME, ME, I'm proof that old folks can still work out. I work out with weights 3 days a week to keep these old bones strong. Guess it was about 10 years ago that I started and it has really made a difference. My mother is 90 and she also works out with weights. Now don't get me wrong, we aren't pressing 300 pounds but for one hundred pound women we are pretty strong. Mother's doctor said he expects my mom to live well into her hundreds, and said I had about 40 more years to go. I said oh, no that would make me 110 years old. I admit there are some nights that I would rather be lifting a bag of potato chips.

TopSpeed 01-24-2007 01:53 PM

I work 60+ crazy hours a week here at my job so I am completely exhausted at the end of the day... about the most "weight lifting" I do is movin' the glass of Jack Daniels from the table to my mouth. Sometimes I have to tip the bottle into the glass, too.

gorichb 01-24-2007 02:10 PM

I work 68 hour weeks, doesn't leave allot of time for much else, but I make the time when I can. I don't do the Gym thing, have in the past, but that quickly wears off. I lift weights at home, EAT RIGHT, and just use some good 'ol common sense as far keeping in shape. i don't run or jog, I used to but the constant force of the feet hitting the ground was doing a number on my joints. Situps, SITUPS and situps is probably one of the best things you can do for that "gut" and wasteline. I have been lucky so fay (43) and have not got the "gut" yet but i don't plan on getting it either. Stay active, exercise regularly, walking is great excercise, once you get that metabolism up than it will take care of those pounds for you.

CORVETTE LADY 01-24-2007 03:05 PM

ORIGINAL: gorichb

I work 68 hour weeks, doesn't leave allot of time for much else, but I make the time when I can. I don't do the Gym thing, have in the past, but that quickly wears off. I lift weights at home, EAT RIGHT, and just use some good 'ol common sense as far keeping in shape. i don't run or jog, I used to but the constant force of the feet hitting the ground was doing a number on my joints. Situps, SITUPS and situps is probably one of the best things you can do for that "gut" and wasteline. I have been lucky so fay (43) and have not got the "gut" yet but i don't plan on getting it either. Stay active, exercise regularly, walking is great excercise, once you get that metabolism up than it will take care of those pounds for you.
Great advice, yes, I was jogging until I was 45 and realized it was not helping my joints. Now, if things get rough, Speeds advice on the Jack Daniels will also work.[sm=smiley29.gif]Stay healthy guys and girls.

rjensen 01-24-2007 03:31 PM

I workout with weights 5 days a week, 75 minutes each day. I do light weights and high reps to build tone, notbulk. I use 20 lb leg weights/8 lb dumbbells/ 23 lb barbell. Been doing it for 20 years. I startedyoung, as my parents were excellent role models and my brothers lifted weights, when they were younger. They all still exercise to one degree or another, but I'm still extremely dedicated to my workout regime. I do crunches with 20 lbs of leg weights on and holding a 5 lb dumbbell behind my head. Crunches are guaranteed to get rid of your gut . . . you just do them until it hurts. You know, no pain, no gain. Well, not till it hurts too much, just so you feel it. :)

The other saying that really comes into play is "You are what you eat." Try to stay away fromjunk food and if you can't, try to eat it in moderation. I guess the best advice I can give is to set realistic goals. Don't give yourself a grueling schedule you will never be able to stick to. Just set up a routine; maybe something you do in front of your TV while watching the news (that is what I do) and then stick to it. I think it is easier to workout at home than in a gym; it is alsoa lot less expensive. Another great result of staying in shape is it will be easier to get in and out of your vette!:D:D

Good luck with whatever you do.
Rita

94blackC4 01-24-2007 07:09 PM

I work out..side.... does that count? ;)I havea membership to Ballys (im not big enough for Golds Gym) and I try and do a lot of cardio. The trainer that works there said that if i want to stay slim, my workout should consist of 75-80% cardio. I do about 90% cardio lol.

Matt