Corvette Forums - Corvette Enthusiast Site

Corvette Forums - Corvette Enthusiast Site (https://www.corvetteforums.com/forum/)
-   Product Review Section (https://www.corvetteforums.com/forum/product-review-section-35/)
-   -   to buy a hoist??? (https://www.corvetteforums.com/forum/product-review-section-35/buy-hoist-8423/)

Ric 12-14-2007 01:38 PM

to buy a hoist???

I am thinkingabout Buying a hoist and I know some of you have them. I have done some reading butI just cant decide on what I want. The 4 post looks easy to install but takes a lot of room and you would still have to jack the wheels to work on them. The 2 post lift looks like a nicer unit but probably is a tough install. also they make a bottom and top brace and cant decide which would fit the needs best. Then there is the sissier type the cheapest and probably the easer install and the most mobile. they need 5 inches Clarence and I haven't checked the corvette clearance yet. I am just starting my research and I know there would be a positive and a negative to which everI choose so I am asking from the experience from the readers that have these types for there thoughts on each. What are the pros and cons of the lift you own?
Thanks for your time and Merry Christmas
Ric W.

watwheel 12-15-2007 05:09 AM

RE: to buy a hoist???

Hey Ric,

I have a 72 and we used the sissors air type. Works great, gets the car high enough to work on comfortably and will clear the car. For the money it is the best bet as far as I'm concerned. Does'nt kill the pocketbook and is not a permanent fixture. Hope this helps.

Ric 12-16-2007 09:12 PM

Thanks Watwheel for your thoughts it does help. I have bin steering toward the scissor lift just for the space issue. I know you wouldn't be able to do trans work with one by the way they are made but after thinking about it my age is telling me not to do trans. work anyway. Motor, rear end and body panels look easy with the scissor hoist but i do question exhaust work. Is yours working for you in that area? I haven't made up my mind yet but thanks for the reply.

Watwheel I see you are from Michigan I have spent time in Mich while I was road racing and it is full of very nice and helpful people.(even if I had a OSU shirt on)Automobile's and Michigan go together.
Thanks Again
Ric W.

watwheel 12-17-2007 04:46 AM

Yes you can work on the exhaust. I installed stainless steel pipes and mufflers and had to do some fabrication to fit them to the headers and strap them to the frame.

watwheel 12-17-2007 04:48 AM

I forgot to mention that you just need to put taller blocks on the lift to give you extra clearance. Works great!!

bowtiefan 03-22-2008 09:07 AM

Ric
You have probably already got your hoist, but thought I'd put in my 2 cents. I just completed putting in my 2 post lift. It is not difficult, although my instructions lacked a lot to be desired. Only thing is you need 2 people to stand the posts up right. Other than that, I did it all myself, although a second person would have made thing easier.

We have Corvettes in all but the C5 generation, and only the solid axles can be lifted without running the car up on a 2x4. I knew this going in, so not a problem. I will be making some 'ramps' to solve this problem. Once on the lift, it's great. Just put PS in our 67 and it sure made things a lot easier.I chose the 2 post design because I am always changing tires on my 72 autocross car, and the 2 post makes it a lot easier.

One problem, mine is an asymetric design, meaning the rear arm is longer than the front arm so that you can open the door easier. WARNING,our C6DOES NOT FIT. The asymetric arm is too long to fit in the required jacking locations. I just discovered this and so have not had a chance to talk to the dealer. I am going to try and get another short arm and this should solve the problem.

Hope this helps anyone interested in a 2 post lift.

Ken

Ric 03-23-2008 08:41 AM

Thanks Bowtiefan for your input.I still haven't bought the lift. This winter has bin full of flue this year. Today I am starting to feel alive again. I have decided to purchase the scissor lift. although I have the room for the 2 post style I think I could keep most of my room with the scissor type. I guess it doesn't matter what style we purchase building ramps to raise the corvette onto the lift will have to be done. I pretty much have to do all things my self or get help that is 45 minutes away and that is asking a lot. Living in northern Ohio I will be purchasing out of Indianapolis Indiana. I still need to make some calls because I prefer something that is made in theUSA. I hope you get the arm problem figured out and congrats on the new lift.
Thanks Bowtiefan
Ric W.;)