Corvette Forums - Corvette Enthusiast Site

Corvette Forums - Corvette Enthusiast Site (https://www.corvetteforums.com/forum/)
-   Professional Racing (https://www.corvetteforums.com/forum/professional-racing-22/)
-   -   50th Daytona 500 (https://www.corvetteforums.com/forum/professional-racing-22/50th-daytona-500-a-8882/)

C3 Starship 02-16-2008 07:09 PM

50th Daytona 500

Well, don't know if y'all are excited, but I'm on the edge of my seat for this one![sm=bounceybounce.gif]History in the making. ;)

Personally, I'm against the Toyotas, no matter who is drivin'. [:@]I used to be a Tony Stewert fan, but I'm really dissapointed that he has gone over to Toyota. https://www.corvetteforums.com/image/s7.gifI'm backin' the Chevy line-up 100%. [sm=hail.gif]

Back when I first got interested in racing, there were the GM, Ford, Mopar, and Offenhausers at Indy. My Dad worked with Marvin Drake,to develope the Drake racing engine. Actually built from a Ford Modle A, 4 cylinder. Later joined with Offenhauser to form Offenhauser/Drake, later to become just Offenhauser.
Last yearthe Indy engineswere all Hondas.[:'(]

I don't see why we can't keep an American tradition,
all American. [sm=americanasmiley.gif]

If foreign companies want to race against U.S. built cars, why not have an international competition, the "World 500", or "International 500"? Just leave our traditions alone. In this sence, I'm a segragationalist.

Oh well,.........
GO CHEVY! [sm=usa.gif]( ...and I don't care who is drivin'.)
How many "Good Ol' Boys" ran moonshine in a Camry? :DNASCARhas it's roots inthe"Good Ol' Boys" in Chevys, Fords, and Dodgesrunnin' the back roads of America. :)

Weren't no Toyotas on this track....;)

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o...p/racecar5.jpg

That's my Dad in $1.98! :)

78buckshot 02-16-2008 07:57 PM

RE: 50th Daytona 500

You tell 'em Dave, If everyone refused to buy any import item for one month we could put this country right back on top, think about it, we can all do without something for a short time to prove it can be done. Look what it took to win WWII, the whole nation was on rations of gas, sugar, etc. for the war effort for years and it worked. We're a bunch of spoiled, greedy, "gotta' have it now" fat cats that don't know the meaning of sacrificing a little today to make a better tomorrow. That's all I have to say about that. Bob

1974corvetteowner 02-16-2008 08:43 PM

C3 I an completely with you on the Chevys but you can be dissappointed all you want with Tony Stewert but you should know that he does own a Chevy Dealership, and protested going to a toyota and even tried to get out of his contract his only option was to not race nascar or drive a toyota

C3 Starship 02-16-2008 09:50 PM

I didn't know that was the case with Tony. [:o]
[sm=jawdrop.gif]
Just goes to show thebreak downof our country's culture. An American driver, forced to drive for a foreign company. [:@]

How excited could ya get, when a Honda beat a Honda at Indy? :eek:
For me, it took a lot away from the over all excitement of the farse..er uh....race. I'm not even goin' to watch the Indy this year if there aren't goin' to be some changes.

Next, we'll haveTony Stewert,racingTony Stewert,in Toyotas. Won't that be exciting....[sm=sleeping.gif]Ya get my point? [:@]

Let's all just drive Kias, and forget the whole thing. [:'(]
How about cloning Mike Jordan, and use them for all basket ball games.
Ya, I'm gettin' out there alright, but dang it......[sm=icon_flaming.gif]

[sm=hail.gif]GO CHEVY![sm=groupwave.gif][sm=bounceybounce.gif][sm=icon_cheers.gif]

1974corvetteowner 02-17-2008 11:00 PM

I completely understand where your comming from these races are going to start to get boring because everything is the same and cars are so safe doon there wont even be any wrecks to make thing more exciting

Ric 02-18-2008 06:15 AM

I didn't find the racing boring at all at the 500. They stayed together and the last 30 laps was exciting. NASCAR will always try to keep them together in there eyes it is about the show. I like that they try to mandate a safe car bough the fact they will try to even the field by giving certain manufactures a edge sucks. They have always done this and it will continue with this car to put on the show and sell tickets. I think the short track races will be great as usual win they get to remove the choking plates. Also Speed did a great job on the 50th celebration they really got into the history of NASCAR which brought back the memories. and speaking of memories Starship that picture of your dad in that old stock car really brings them back. Thanks for the great picture I loved it.

I guess time will tell
Ric

C3 Starship 02-18-2008 07:58 AM

Congrats to Dodge! :)
Since it couldn't be a Chevy, Dodge is the next best thing.
Ya, the last few laps were great. ;)

Glad ya liked the pic Ric, There are some others, of Dad's cars and mine, in "True Stories Of...". Some of my first and fondestmemories, are of goin' to the track, to watch Dad race. [sm=icon_rock.gif]

ljg 02-21-2008 07:02 AM

That was a good race. I'm glad Dodge pulled ahead in the end. I almost quite watching after Toyota led, what...80 laps. All the cars look the same now. You used to be able to go out and basically buy a rade car at the dealership. Now you can hardly differentiate between the fords, dodges, chevys, and ahh toyotas.