Corvette Forums - Corvette Enthusiast Site

Corvette Forums - Corvette Enthusiast Site (https://www.corvetteforums.com/forum/)
-   Sights 'N Sounds (https://www.corvetteforums.com/forum/sights-n-sounds-7/)
-   -   can awd cars really handle better than our rwds? (https://www.corvetteforums.com/forum/sights-n-sounds-7/can-awd-cars-really-handle-better-than-our-rwds-5096/)

chargedvette02 02-22-2007 11:46 PM

can awd cars really handle better than our rwds?

The vette keeps up just fine and does not crash. Plus the guy in the STi is hitting the brakes on the apex of both turns which is usually a no no.

http://www.spdkilz.org/Video-Audio/Corvette/wrxhit.wmv

try this one c3

http://s50.photobucket.com/albums/f341/jdlewh/?action=view¤t=wrxhit.flv

C3 Starship 02-23-2007 10:38 AM

RE: can awd cars really handle better than our rwds?

My media player won't play the vid, [&o]but I can add this...
the apex is where ya really "scew it on"! :D
He must be hitting the turn too hard in an attempt to pick up time, but then he'll lose anything that he gained, by brakeing at the apex. Alsohe throws allhis stability out the window. You tend to drift high at the beginning of the turn, and it's reall hard, if not impossible to get back to the bottom of the turn.That's where you can really pick up momentum and come out of the turn like bein' shot from a cannon. :)
You can actually leave the turn faster than you entered! ;)
Downshift as you enter turn. At the apex, drop the hammer and hang on. Once you straighten out, shift back into high gear, and it's "Good bye, Charlie"!!![sm=icon_rock.gif]

(wish I could view the vid[&o])

chargedvette02 02-23-2007 05:54 PM

try the second link c3

riley 02-23-2007 05:56 PM

C3: right click on the link and select "save link as" (if your using firefox). Then open it after you download it.

It looks like he was starting to drift high in the corner and the pulled it real hard to keep out of the path of the oncoming M/C. He was probably surprised by the bike coming around the corner and jerked the wheel to the right. It looks like he then over compensated because he was headed right for the inside wall. I would say it had less to do with all wheel drive and more to do with the driver. That's the big problem with running though the hills like that. You just never know what's around that next curve.

I can tell a big difference in the handling of my truck on slippery surfaces when I put it in 4WD. But maybe that's not a very good comparison.

chargedvette02 02-23-2007 06:03 PM

ORIGINAL: riley

C3: right click on the link and select "save link as" (if your using firefox). Then open it after you download it.

It looks like he was starting to drift high in the corner and the pulled it real hard to keep out of the path of the oncoming M/C. He was probably surprised by the bike coming around the corner and jerked the wheel to the right. It looks like he then over compensated because he was headed right for the inside wall. I would say it had less to do with all wheel drive and more to do with the driver. That's the big problem with running though the hills like that. You just never know what's around that next curve.

I can tell a big difference in the handling of my truck on slippery surfaces when I put it in 4WD. But maybe that's not a very good comparison.

I just thought it was funny how he was on the brakes when he should have been on the gas. He shouldn't have been going that fast in the mountains if you don't know how to take a turn.

riley 02-23-2007 06:12 PM

I just thought it was funny how he was on the brakes when he should have been on the gas. He shouldn't have been going that fast in the mountains if you don't know how to take a turn.
That was the heart of the problem. He was out-driving his skills. It's happened to me before. Fortunatly, where I live there are ditches and not canyon walls. I bought a brand new formula fiero in 1988. The first week that I had it I put it into the ditch, twice.

Lee Willis 02-23-2007 09:41 PM

Oh yeah. I had an AWD Autdi S4. But to really see the difference, go test drive a Porsche Carrera S4 and a standard Carrera (2-wheel drive) back to back and you realize the answer is a resounding "yes!!" I just didn't have the money at the time: you have to get the S (355 HP) to equal the performance of the normal car (325) when hauling around the extra 250 lbs of 4-wheel drive stuff, sothe cost margin was for both 4-wheel drive and the bigger engine. Too much for me at the time.

But the big thing? Lots of experience convinces me that you really can't get more than about 250 HP per tire to the ground dependably and without "too much" drama: at 500 RWHP my 'vette was okay, at 700+ it is wheelspin city even with the biggest and stickiest street tires made and the car constantly signals to the driver it won't forgive any mistake. Four wheel drive would allow me to put 1000 horsepower to the ground without drama or worry. So what the equipment weighs another 200 or 250 lbs?

razoramowned 03-29-2007 04:04 AM

ORIGINAL: chargedvette02

The vette keeps up just fine and does not crash. Plus the guy in the STi is hitting the brakes on the apex of both turns which is usually a no no.
[/align][/align]
Just some food for thought, I haven't had the chance to watch the video, but I think it really depends on a lot of factors; hitting brakes on a apex doesn't necessarily mean a "no no". Rather it can aid in reducing understeer by lifting weight off the outside rear tire.
[/align]

BluBeaSSt 03-29-2007 10:05 AM

Good video, looks like someone needs to learn how to drive and that was an expencive learning leason :D

C3 Starship 03-29-2007 10:32 AM

ORIGINAL: razoramowned

Rather it can aid in reducing understeer by lifting weight off the outside rear tire.
[/align]
Now there's an intelligent statement! :D
This "ricer" is goin' to come over here and tell ME how to drive? [sm=funnypostabove.gif]
I think not! ;)
Flat and balanced is the BEST way to take a turn. I spent too many years on stock car tracks to fall for his view of technique.Just before the apex is where I "Drop The Hammer", whip out of the turns, and reeeaaallllly pick up speed! Brakes are for "Chickens", gears are for racers. :DPoor baby has a lot to learn, hope he lives long enough to get it figured out! :D

(watch the vid, doe doe! Ya just might learn somethin. :eek:)