Corvette Forums - Corvette Enthusiast Site

Corvette Forums - Corvette Enthusiast Site (https://www.corvetteforums.com/forum/)
-   Street/Strip (https://www.corvetteforums.com/forum/street-strip-21/)
-   -   Lee's speed (https://www.corvetteforums.com/forum/street-strip-21/lees-speed-5042/)

Navy Flyboy 02-16-2007 01:09 AM

Lee's speed

Ok Lee, I was just reading on the Porsche forum about your little speed trip. Now where was it and what did everything look like. You gotta tell me. I won't post your speed on here, you can if you want to. But that's FREAKING AWESOME!!

Lee Willis 02-16-2007 09:34 PM

RE: Lee's speed

I really should not do that and I don't advise you. I use a spot on US 1 between Raleigh and Sanford NC. Near the Progress Energy HarrisNuclear plant there is a five + mile stretch of road, two lanes in each direction, wide flat esplanade and shoulders, with a flat straight and nearly two miles between entrances, with turn arounds above the road where you can see back along the entire length. On dry Snday mornings, early, I checkit once at speed limit to check it out for highway patrol, debris, anything, then turn around and wait until there are no cars.

An indicated 192 is the top speed so far, and my speedo is very accurate.I just wanted to see how it pulls at high speed: I shiftedout of 5th into 6th at 6000 (190) -- the car was smooth and stable but it occured to me I really was going too fast, and I should not abuse 6th gear (it is not designed for even 400 lbs of torque.

This isn't something I would recommend doing . . .

chargedvette02 02-17-2007 05:38 AM

Holy sh!t! Your crazy, 190 mph. The car was stable huh, I hear a lot of people bitch that vettes get unstable in the back above 160. Guess they are full of it.

Lee Willis 02-17-2007 12:43 PM

Remember, I have the custom front end with an air dam and a lot of rework on the rear suspension including some C5R pieces back there - both for the power and the high speed stability. The shop that does the work on my car wants to take it to the Maxton Mile in March to try for 200+, they even have someone who will drive it for me if I don't want to. Only problem is the rules there would require a rollcage before they would let me exceed 165 - 175 (something like that anyway). That kind of ruins the daily driveability

I probably won't do it again, I agree it was too fast, although I really would like to see the car exceed 200 mph once (as I said in the rear end gears post in General Tech, it has the power to do 225). But the thing was, it was not that difficult for the car to do and it did not feel dramatic at the time -- did not feel anything like that fast, and while I did have the engine at full throttle I was shifting slow and 500 RPM below the red line in every gear.

C3 Starship 02-18-2007 12:21 AM

So...Lee,....what about Germany? You've mentioned that you travel. :D
There must be someplace, where ya can get 'er clocked. :eek:

I understand about the cage. I've thought of puttin' one in the "Starship", but I was told that my insurance would go way up. [&o]
I don't get it.....pay more ins, for a safer car!?!?!?!?

chargedvette02 02-18-2007 02:05 AM

ORIGINAL: Lee Willis

Remember, I have the custom front end with an air dam and a lot of rework on the rear suspension including some C5R pieces back there - both for the power and the high speed stability. The shop that does the work on my car wants to take it to the Maxton Mile in March to try for 200+, they even have someone who will drive it for me if I don't want to. Only problem is the rules there would require a rollcage before they would let me exceed 165 - 175 (something like that anyway). That kind of ruins the daily driveability

I probably won't do it again, I agree it was too fast, although I really would like to see the car exceed 200 mph once (as I said in the rear end gears post in General Tech, it has the power to do 225). But the thing was, it was not that difficult for the car to do and it did not feel dramatic at the time -- did not feel anything like that fast, and while I did have the engine at full throttle I was shifting slow and 500 RPM below the red line in every gear.
I would think that if you took your car to the track and ran the 1/4 you would need a cage. If they didn't catch it at inspection they would boot you off after one run.:)Must be nice to have a car that powerful.

Lee Willis 02-18-2007 03:01 PM

If I run at a san tioned track I would need a cage now. There are, of course, some non-santioned tracks. The car is known at the sanctioned tracks now, the first time it ran I sort of underestimated the time I'd run as 11.9 to get on the strip, but the first run real run I did was in the low 10s and that was that.

I don't really plan to take this to the drags anymore: the whole idea is to have a super-powerful but torquey and completely comfortable street car. Too hard on the car.

That said, I really would like to see it do over 200 mph just once,but I'm not going to drive it that fast myself.

TopSpeed 02-21-2007 03:55 PM

Man, that's just completely crazy! I love it... what a rush that must have been. I don't have the nerves anymore, myself, to crest over 100mph on our roads. It's not our car I worry about; it's the other idiots that surround me that concerns me the most.

C3 Starship 02-22-2007 01:41 AM

"I don't really plan to take this to the drags anymore: the whole idea is to have a super-powerful but torquey and completely comfortable street car. Too hard on the car."

I completely agree, Lee! :)
I just don't like bein' that rough on my Vette! ;)
I like the loooong cruise, at say,.....80! :D

PAY2PLAY 02-28-2007 04:26 PM

Wow Lee, I can't imagine traveling that fast in a car. I think the fastest I've drove is about 120. Seeing that you don't plan to do this again you should have video taped the run...but if you ever decide to give it another shot, definitely hook-up a dash mounted camera so those of us who don't have the courage to do that can live through your experience;)