Corvette Forums - Corvette Enthusiast Site

Corvette Forums - Corvette Enthusiast Site (https://www.corvetteforums.com/forum/)
-   Street/Strip (https://www.corvetteforums.com/forum/street-strip-21/)
-   -   Not really a race. More of a game. (https://www.corvetteforums.com/forum/street-strip-21/not-really-race-more-game-3734/)

riley 10-30-2006 10:57 AM

Not really a race. More of a game.

Here’s a little game that I play on the way to work. I drive down a stretch of dual lane (two lanes in each direction with grass in between) highway that is basically out in the sticks but there are stoplights about every five miles or so.

I’ll be driving in a pack of cars. You know, a bunch of cars will get grouped up because of a stoplight. I’ll manage to get to the front of the pack before the next light. We’ll all be doing about 65mph (the limit is 60 but the cops allow 65 and maybe <70). At the next red light I’ll rip away as soon as it turns green. You know, 0 to 65 in under 5 seconds.

Then as soon as I hit 65 I’ll let off, shift into 6th and hit cruise control. By this time the pack is way, way behind me. Then, about a mile later I’ll look in the rear view mirror and notice that several of them are gaining on me. By about mile two they’ve caught up to me. Mind you these are the folks who were happy to be cruising along at 65, are now doing at least 70 to catch up.

I think that they think that I must be doing at least a hundred and that they are clear to speed since any cop who’s clocking would catch me instead of them. As they approach me from behind almost all of them slow back down to 65. A few will keep going past me but will slow down after they pass.

This morning I had a BMW that must have been doing 80 to catch up. As soon as he got a car length in front of me he slowed to my speed and stayed there.

Does any body else play games like this? Or am I just being an a**hole?

Black86vette 10-30-2006 06:43 PM

RE: Not really a race. More of a game.

Ok put yourself driving a camry. Picture yourself behind a minivan and a hopped up vette. WHO DO U THINK WOULD GO FASTER. Duh. The vette. As you speed up they do to. Also it makes them feel good because they are keeping up with and/or passing a vette.:DNo asshole just plain fun.

Lee Willis 10-30-2006 09:19 PM

Well, I have to admit that there is one fun thing I do. I drive drive rather conservatively (i.e., not fast) on straightaways and the interstate (at lerast I do most of the time) and I sometimes get someone riding my bumper or giving me sh*t: you know, kids trying to gode me into a race, just being assholes, etc. I just zip into an off ramp without hitting the brakes at all, at close to the maximum the car can handle. The real idiots just don't pay attention, and follow me in and get in serious trouble. I've had a little snot in a Civic slide and hit the guardrail hard, and a bunch of loudmouths in an old cavalier slide off the embankment and just sort of slowly slide into a muddy ditch.

rippedcamel 12-05-2006 11:48 PM

I do the same thing with my truck! HAHAHAHA! Fun times!

Navy Flyboy 12-06-2006 12:21 AM

I like being in a section of road where it is like 25. Now, I can put my car in third and I'll be turning 1500 RPM. Now get some other teenager beside me, as soon as it turns to 45 or 55, I step on it, and do the same thing as riley, click it in 5th or 6th and do the speed limit. I guess it's the way the front end picks up or the exhaust, cause here they come hauling @$$ to catch me. Now, a prime example of this is in front of my school. Cops patrol HEAVILY here at 7:00-8:45 and from 3:15-4:30ish. Did this just last week and the cop NAILED a highlighter green Mitsu. Older Lancer. Been painted light puke green, airplane spoiler, body kit that scrapes, sounds like the car is shaking apart when the bass hits, bean can for tail-pipe, ya'll know the rap. Yeah, I love it, it sure makes me think I'm being a dic*head, but it sure is funny.

Patrick 12-06-2006 01:06 PM

i have played similar games...:)

TopSpeed 12-06-2006 02:11 PM

ORIGINAL: riley

Here’s a little game that I play on the way to work. I drive down a stretch of dual lane (two lanes in each direction with grass in between) highway that is basically out in the sticks but there are stoplights about every five miles or so.

I’ll be driving in a pack of cars. You know, a bunch of cars will get grouped up because of a stoplight. I’ll manage to get to the front of the pack before the next light. We’ll all be doing about 65mph (the limit is 60 but the cops allow 65 and maybe <70). At the next red light I’ll rip away as soon as it turns green. You know, 0 to 65 in under 5 seconds.

Then as soon as I hit 65 I’ll let off, shift into 6th and hit cruise control. By this time the pack is way, way behind me. Then, about a mile later I’ll look in the rear view mirror and notice that several of them are gaining on me. By about mile two they’ve caught up to me. Mind you these are the folks who were happy to be cruising along at 65, are now doing at least 70 to catch up.

I think that they think that I must be doing at least a hundred and that they are clear to speed since any cop who’s clocking would catch me instead of them. As they approach me from behind almost all of them slow back down to 65. A few will keep going past me but will slow down after they pass.

This morning I had a BMW that must have been doing 80 to catch up. As soon as he got a car length in front of me he slowed to my speed and stayed there.

Does any body else play games like this? Or am I just being an a**hole?

I do that ALL the time. :D

ORIGINAL: Lee Willis

Well, I have to admit that there is one fun thing I do. I drive drive rather conservatively (i.e., not fast) on straightaways and the interstate (at lerast I do most of the time) and I sometimes get someone riding my bumper or giving me sh*t: you know, kids trying to gode me into a race, just being assholes, etc. I just zip into an off ramp without hitting the brakes at all, at close to the maximum the car can handle. The real idiots just don't pay attention, and follow me in and get in serious trouble. I've had a little snot in a Civic slide and hit the guardrail hard, and a bunch of loudmouths in an old cavalier slide off the embankment and just sort of slowly slide into a muddy ditch.
THAT'S funny! Great idea; I'll give that one a go next chance I get! :D