Corvette Forums - Corvette Enthusiast Site

Corvette Forums - Corvette Enthusiast Site (https://www.corvetteforums.com/forum/)
-   Street/Strip (https://www.corvetteforums.com/forum/street-strip-21/)
-   -   Raced an EVO Today. (https://www.corvetteforums.com/forum/street-strip-21/raced-evo-today-698/)

PAY2PLAY 10-23-2005 05:11 PM

Raced an EVO Today.

Had my first real race today. Me and a bunch of friends meet today to play a game of flag football. One of my friends cousins has an EVO. When we were leaving from our meeting place to go the football field I just so happen to get the chance to line up at the light with the EVO. His friend in the passenger seat is hanging out the window talking all this sh*t about how well he is going to launch on me. Anyway the light turns green and my reaction time was way off and he gets about a 3 car pull on me. I floored it, and spun tires half-way through 1st gear. The whole time I'm just walking him down. By the time I hit 3rd gear it was over I pulled on him like crazy and killed him by about 4 cars before I had to stop for the next light. Talk about an adrenaline rush that was fun as hell. Anyhow just thought I'd share my first real race (aside from some ricer I killed a few weeks ago) story with you guys. Vette = 2, Imports = 0

Patrick 10-24-2005 03:51 PM

RE: Raced an EVO Today.

wow..nice one...have you been to the track by chance? depending on whatr year evo, it should be at least a 13 second car, if not faster.

Danase 10-24-2005 06:07 PM

Way to beat a 4 banger! ;)

Lee Willis 10-25-2005 08:48 AM

Evos are actually pretty nasty cars on the street. 4-wheel drive is nearly impossible to beat off the line. If you're going to street race (I don't advise it), insist on a rolling start which is common anyway--takes away their biggest advantage. If you have the M6, remember that 3rd gear is the vette's ace: that is where sheer power begins to really show--so pick somewhere long enough to wind out through 3rd. This means you want a rolling start and more than 1/8th mile to completion.

Stock Evos can do mid to very low 13s depending on the driver and tires. A few on the street are running NOS or bigger turbos and can run down into the low 12s. Few of the people that own moded EVOs (or stock ones for that matter) can resist advertising it with decals and ridiculously big wings and what they call "fart mufflers" (they really call them that, can you believe it?),so there are not too many sleepers to worry about--if it looks stock, it probably is. But you still won't take it right off the line if you are running stock tires.

Patrick 10-25-2005 11:04 PM

dont hate me, but i have been looking around for an evo, but i will likely wait until the prive of the Evo IX has come down a bit, in a year or so. i was at an event last weekend, and there were a handful of Evos there that drove in, drove out, running in the low 11s, and a bunch in the tens. i know on eo f the guys, and he hasnt taken the valve cover off yet..stock from top to bottom,and he runs 10.30s. a good driver with intake and exhaust can get an evo VIII into the high 12s, and with items like a MBC, and Ic sprayer, etc, can get into the low 12s/high 11s..

as for racing from a roll, racing from a roll is like trying to screw with pants on...you may get to finish, but its just not the real thing.

Danase 10-25-2005 11:11 PM

ORIGINAL: Patrick

dont hate me, but i have been looking around for an evo, but i will likely wait until the prive of the Evo IX has come down a bit, in a year or so. i was at an event last weekend, and there were a handful of Evos there that drove in, drove out, running in the low 11s, and a bunch in the tens. i know on eo f the guys, and he hasnt taken the valve cover off yet..stock from top to bottom,and he runs 10.30s. a good driver with intake and exhaust can get an evo VIII into the high 12s, and with items like a MBC, and Ic sprayer, etc, can get into the low 12s/high 11s..

as for racing from a roll, racing from a roll is like trying to screw with pants on...you may get to finish, but its just not the real thing.
I agree with you Pat. I love Amercian Muscle Cars but I know own an AWD car and love the thing. I can not see me driving a FWD or RWD car again unless it is a weekend cruiser.

Patrick 10-26-2005 12:39 AM

when i finally get the evo, i run ya sometime...:)

my current car breakdown is 1 strong RWD car, 1 turbo FWD, 1 NA FWD, 1 old beater RWD truck, and a modded RWD truck, so AWD has not been in my realm of dealing yet, but ive driven a built STi, and the evo is very attractive to me...[8D]

Danase 10-26-2005 09:54 AM

ORIGINAL: Patrick
when i finally get the evo, i run ya sometime...:)
my current car breakdown is 1 strong RWD car, 1 turbo FWD, 1 NA FWD, 1 old beater RWD truck, and a modded RWD truck, so AWD has not been in my realm of dealing yet, but ive driven a built STi, and the evo is very attractive to me...[8D]
Ok but you have to take off your turbo since I have the N/A Impreza. ;)
Nice breakdown. :) I started in an 85 Mustang GT then got a 80 Camaro, then the good ole college commuter 88 Dodge Shadow, then a 94 GMC Sonoma that was slightly modded, then a 2001 Civic, and now the 05 Impreza RS.

Patrick 10-26-2005 01:28 PM

i also had a shadow in college! :)

Lee Willis 10-26-2005 06:20 PM

I had an Audi S4 before trading up to my Prosche. It had 340 HP and the Quasttro driver and I really liked it. EVOs are nine cars -- I wouldn't want one just because of the styling. But its just as much fun, and challenge, to get performance out of them as a vette or anything else.