Corvette Forums - Corvette Enthusiast Site

Corvette Forums - Corvette Enthusiast Site (https://www.corvetteforums.com/forum/)
-   Street/Strip (https://www.corvetteforums.com/forum/street-strip-21/)
-   -   A Very Fast SUV (https://www.corvetteforums.com/forum/street-strip-21/very-fast-suv-3601/)

Lee Willis 10-19-2006 08:49 AM

A Very Fast SUV

I was driving down I-85 to Charlotte (from Raleigh) yesterday in the Porsche, running about 75 with the traffic, when a gleaming silver SUV slowly came up behind me. It had very aggressive stance and appearance - wide tires and track, fog and driving lights, etc. It eased around me and I read the designation: Mercedes Benz AMG ML 6.3.

I followed and on the portion where the contruction is complete and the road opens up to four lanes south, pulled alongside. The other driver seemed game to see how a a 505 HP SUV does against a 320 HP 911 so we both slowed to about 55 and then went for it.

That thing actually had the Porsche slightly from 55 up to about 80, putting maybe a length on me in two three seconds -- impressive -- then the Porsche started slowly reeling it in, but not by a lot. We backed off before we reached ridiculous speeds . . . but . . . that is one seriously fast SUV.

I doubt it could take a C5 (the Porsche can't quite), but it surely would make it work hard to win.

Of course, I could comfort myself with the fact that even if my car can't really beat up on him, I was killing him with fuel economy - thing got 30.6 mpg for the whole trip -- house to hotel. Wow.

C3 Starship 10-19-2006 12:47 PM

RE: A Very Fast SUV

Sounds like the weight to HP ratio was prob in your favor.
505 hp SUV!:eek: Sheesh, what next?[&:]

gorichb 10-26-2006 05:49 PM

Thats a cool story Lee.
I'll be sure to stay clear of that animal if i ever see one on the road.

I had a fun run in with a Jaguar this weekend. Cruising down the freeway about 60 just enjoying the drive when a silver jag pulled up next to me, dark windows, 4 door sedan, looked like maybe a 04 model, XJK, or XJR, something like that. He or she, i don't know which stayed on my right side for a few miles, and i thought ah, what the heck looked like they were up for a little fun. So at about 60 we punched it, and it was staying right with me, and as we approached 85 I barely started to pull away. Keep in mind with the exception of the intake and exhaust my car is basically stock. Well it finally turned off one of the exits, but I couldn't help but think what the heck, it was a darn 4 door sedan Jag. Hahaha
Ya, well the darn thing is supercharged with about 390 HP, i find out later.
I just thought I would share that, and like Dave made mention the weight to HP ration was probably just barely in my favor here.
Just goes to show you. You never know what the heck your going to come up on out there.

Black86vette 11-22-2006 11:45 AM

Lee you need to be cautious with the "fun" near charlotte. There was a big bust at the mall parking lot where alot of the racers go. Im glad I was home sleepn:D I still got my car about 18 other losers arnt so lucky. Most of the cars impounded were elcipses and alot of mustangs. One guy had a racing motor in one. I want to see them autioned off hehe.

Lee Willis 11-22-2006 12:16 PM

Another reasn not to street race, if you need one.

blueshark 11-23-2006 01:06 AM

Lee, You have nothing to worry about there. one other thing to mention is AMG. that's not really "Stock" as the porsche is. Your equivalent to AMG would be DP, wouldn't it? let him run one of them. Apples to apples don't ya know. Stay safe and take him down to Rockingham for a run. he'll need the high banks.