Corvette C4 Forum 1984 through 1996

Bose or no Bose.

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2007, 11:06 PM
Default Bose or no Bose.

I'm just trying to upgrade to Infinity speakers in the rear and a Pioneer stereo but I'm getting conflicting information regarding my 94 coupe. I can't tell whether its a Bose system or not. The stereo unit inside has seperate 7 and 9 inline pin connectors (harness I bought has a connector with 4 banks of connections), cheesey 6 by 9s in the back with no amps attatchedand no "Bose" icon to be found on any of the hardware. I've been to 3 different audio shops with nothing but uncertaintyafter leaving. The RPO lists the UM6 option but does not specify Bose. Assuming its a Bose system, they informed me no harness is available and rewiring is my only option. They also insisted if I try to use speakers other than Bose it will eventually burn out the stereo. Can you help?

Old 06-09-2007, 04:32 PM
Default RE: Bose or no Bose.

Umm I had a bose system in my 86. Removed the speakers/amps and a little rewiring and its fine. Dont your speaker grills say bose on them? Mine did....I hated the bose system. Im sure everyone will say its good just because I am the odd duckling of the forum.[&:]But they were to small, to quiet, and old. Rip all that stuff out and rework the entire system. Just my thoughts but everyones opinion varies.

Old 06-09-2007, 09:53 PM
cwb
Default RE: Bose or no Bose.

ORIGINAL: khaki1967

I'm just trying to upgrade to Infinity speakers in the rear and a Pioneer stereo but I'm getting conflicting information regarding my 94 coupe. I can't tell whether its a Bose system or not. The stereo unit inside has seperate 7 and 9 inline pin connectors (harness I bought has a connector with 4 banks of connections), cheesey 6 by 9s in the back with no amps attatchedand no "Bose" icon to be found on any of the hardware. I've been to 3 different audio shops with nothing but uncertaintyafter leaving. The RPO lists the UM6 option but does not specify Bose. Assuming its a Bose system, they informed me no harness is available and rewiring is my only option. They also insisted if I try to use speakers other than Bose it will eventually burn out the stereo. Can you help?
Bose speakers have an internal amplifier (and microphone, I presume), which takes ambient sound in the vehicle, and plays it back in its' acoustic inverse.

This internal amp takes more power than just the positive (signal) lead from the stereo. If you put in aftermarket speakers, the power lead doesn't get plugged in - only the signal lead. There will be no problems if your signal specs (RMS for example)are matched.

Burn out the stereo, huh?Ask the tech to explain that one.

Still, if you have a Bose stereo, you should get Bose speakers. They cost more, but in a C4, with no shortage ofinterior 'noise', there's nothing better. I bet that even of your in-dash is NOT Bose, you could get an adapter to power the Bose speakers.